Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Beets, beautiful beets.

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you have eaten beets only in their pickled form, you are missing a delicious veggie.  I like them pickled, but, sauteed or roasted, they become a real treat.

Beets come in different colors. Chioggia, an Italian beet, are ringed inside in white and purply red. Golden beets are gorgeous, and a little more mild than red. Some varieties are white, or yellow. The greens are delicious cooked, and are similar to their relative, chard, in taste.

I have two ways of cooking them: 1 is to peel smallish beets, and slice them about 1/4 inch thick. I then sautee them in butter until they carmelize a bit. I like them this way with a little salt, and a good grind of pepper. The other way is to peel them, and roast them whole. I wrap them in  foil and add just a touch of butter, along with the salt and pepper.

I also pickle and can them. I love to pickle hard boiled eggs in the juice, mmmm.

By the way, a slice or two of pickled beet is wonderful on a burger!

If you garden, beets are easy to grow, and taste even better after frost. They are one of the root veggies that can be left in the ground up until the ground starts to freeze solid.

by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennMcBride
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I'm not crazy about them in any way but my dh and kids like them.
copasetic1
by Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM

A lot of people don't like them. Golden beets are milder and, I think, a bit sweeter. It's great that you make beets for them anyway.

Quoting JennMcBride:

I'm not crazy about them in any way but my dh and kids like them.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I'm a fan of beets!  I like to roast or pickle them, but I've also made a beet cake (actually not bad.)

I have both red and yellow beets in my garden this year.  I'm (im)patiently waiting for them to grow to harvest size.

ChancesMommy07
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Pickled is pretty much the only way I'll eat them.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I've never had them pickled.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Same here... I didnt even know there were different kinds!

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Pickled is pretty much the only way I'll eat them.

copasetic1
by Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I can just picture those beets roasted, sliced, and arranged together! Beautiful and delicious. The last time I grew them, they lasted in the ground until a spate of below zero nights in January - even the greens!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm a fan of beets!  I like to roast or pickle them, but I've also made a beet cake (actually not bad.)

I have both red and yellow beets in my garden this year.  I'm (im)patiently waiting for them to grow to harvest size.

kellynh
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I do not like beets. I have tried to like them since hey are good for you, but I just.... Don't!! 

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I've never been a fan of beets, but I just may have to give them another chance! 

ceciliam
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I just don't like, beets. Other than lima beans it's the only other vegetable I dislike.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement