Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Fridge or Counter? Here's How to Know

Posted by   + Show Post

We've all done this: come home from the farmer's market or a great sale at the supermarket with tons of fresh and delicious food, only to discover it's a major feat of engineering to fit it all into the fridge. You might start eyeing some of that stuff wondering how bad it might be if you left it on the counter....and as it turns out, some things you're putting in the fridge can probably stay out for a while. Here's a rundown:

Dairy and eggs: Milk should go on the top shelf of the fridge, which is the coldest spot; surprisingly, yogurt can be left out for a few hours. Supermarket eggs should go right into the fridge, in their cartons, not on the door. Farmers market eggs might be OK for a day or so left out; eggshells have natural preservatives in them that allow eggs to be safe at room temperature, but most eggs sold in America are washed before market to remove potential salmonella contamination on the shell. Ask the farmer, and refrigerate them when in doubt. Cheese should be refrigerated until serving time, when it's better to bring it to room temperature.

Meat and fish: Always refrigerate! Pathogens can grow on them at temperatures over 40 degrees and under 140.

Fruit and vegetables: If you'll eat fruit more often if you can see it, or if you don't like cold fruit, it's fine to put it in a pretty bowl on the counter. It won't last as long, but will be perfectly safe to eat. Peaches, plums and other fruits will ripen more if left out. Interestingly, lemons will last four times as long if refrigerated.

Veggies should go in the crisper drawer, because they'll stay fresh much longer that way. Tomatoes, potatoes, onions and garlic should all be stored out in the open, but not near each other (onions can cause potatoes to start sprouting). Being in the fridge won't harm onions and garlic, but the very aromas that make them delicious can spread to other foods that will not be enhanced by a little allium hit.

And here's a bonus tip: if you store fruits on the counter, fruit flies can become a problem. Here's how to fix it: put some vinegar in a glass with a squirt of dish soap. The vinegar attracts the flies, and the dish soap breaks the surface tension so when flies land on the vinegar's surface, they fall right in. I tried this the other day and it works like a charm!

How do you keep your food fresh longer?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/akdemirhk

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Same here.

Quoting sanj1213:

I pretty much refrigerate everything except bananas. 

johnny4ever
Yesterday at 5:59 AM
by Tracy on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MichelleK41:

Ours doesn't last that long LOL.

Ours dont either

johnny4ever
Yesterday at 5:59 AM
by Tracy on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I will buy in bulk if on sale and freeze blueberries

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I've been doing it wrong!  I've always refrigerated tomatoes, I'll have to leave them out next time.  

I used to leave most fruit out on the counter, but now usually only leave out apples and bananas as everything else didn't last long enough.  

terri76
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I do basically what it says here..but i use the Debbie Meyer green bags quite a bit!!! They work really well!!

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I pretty much do everything the above article says.  I put my celery in a plastic bag and put it in the drawer in the fridge, it stays fresher longer

kaybear123
by Kayla on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Interesting.

JennMcBride
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I never have to worry about fruit going in the fridge its gone way to fast lol.
campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I keep bananas haing on a banana tree.  I keep onions, garlic and tomatoes in baskets on my counter.  I keep potatoes and apples in my pantry in bins.  Everything else goes in the fridge.

starlight1968
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

everything goes in the fridge but bananas/apples and potatoes...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN