Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy Back to School Breakfasts

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

I can hardly believe it, but it's really here...the end of summer. Some friends are already posting "first day of school" pics on Facebook, and I just spend a staggering amount of money on school clothes .

I'm ready for school to start and so are my kids, but one thing I am NOT looking forward to; the crazy rush of mornings. And this year, all of us have to be up and out by 7:30. Did I mention I am NOT a morning person?

Of course, I am worried about how to get a decent breakfast into everyone without making us late...and I bet you are too. Some ideas:

Green smoothies: frozen fruit, spinach, yogurt if you like it (I don't, so I use orange juice and a scoop of protein powder), and ice. Whir in a blender and pour in a travel mug.You can pre-portion ingredients in foil packets or freezer bags and just pull them out in the morning and dump them in the blender with your liquid of choice, no thinking required.

Make-your-own trail mix: Commercial varieties often have too many sugary add-ins. Mix up your own with whatever nuts you enjoy, dried fruit, and soynuts or roasted chickpeas for protein. Package them in snack bags so they are ready when you are frantic.

Homemade energy bars: unlike commercial varieties, these use no unpronounceable ingredients, and you can control what goes into them. There are some good energy bar recipes at the Chicago Tribune.

Breakfast burritos: Assemble all the ingredients the night before, including cracking and mixing up the eggs. Then it's just a matter of pouring them in a hot pan and spending a few moments to scramble them and a few more to assemble the burritos, then everyone can grab them and go. Try fat-free refried beans, guacamole, fat-free salsa, low-fat cheese, or potatoes. If you're really in a hurry, skip the eggs entirely and just have beans as your protein source. Try corn tortillas, which are lower in fat and calories than flour tortillas.

And there's nothing wrong with low-sugar cereal or the occasional toaster waffle, either!

What are your go-to quick breakfasts?

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM

fast breakfasts around here are usually hard boiled eggs with fruit or grain-free muffins, Greek yogurt with fruit, breakfast salad, dairy-free smoothies, or veggie omelets.  I also like to bake frittatas ahead of time and just reheat in the mornings.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Pop tarts..toast

cjsmom1
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Cereal, eggs, oatmeal

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Good ideas!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM

We have cereal bars. cereal, waffles, toast

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Scrambled eggs and whole grain toast
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Fruit smoothies made with Greek yougert
sukainah
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I don't eat breakfast, but the kids usually eat cereal with fiber in it or high fiber and grain waffles.

Those sound good though.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Usually it's either cereal, yogurt, fruit or eggs.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My kids usually eat cold cereal or homemade trail mix.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement