Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Back to School, Back on Track

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

I generally try to provide healthy meals for my family and model healthy eating myself. I mean, this blog is called "Good Food for Great Health," right? Meals always have a fruit or a vegetable and usually both, I limit sweets for my kids and for me, and enjoy finding recipes that take advantage of seasonal, delicious produce in low-fat, low-calorie ways.

Until this summer. Holy wow are we off the rails around here. We have had cheese-focused Snack Dinner more than once (twice in a week during a heat wave), we have had ice cream for lunch at least once, and I have kind of shrugged my shoulders if they reject my vegetable offerings. We've grilled a LOT of sausage (some of it's chicken sausage, but still). More often than I like to admit, I have loaded sugary breakfast pastries into my cart, justifying myself with "But it's summer!"

And my kids, who are very active, have survived pretty much unscathed. Me, on the other hand? I'm a good five pounds over where I was on Memorial Day. This has got to stop. And the new school year starting, with our new schedules, cooler weather, and general busy-ness, is the time to make it happen. 

Yep, I am getting back on track; no fluffy white stuff, no sugar overload, no fatty meat. It's back to whole grains, lean and delicious proteins, fresh, snappy vegetables, and luscious fruit. Sure, the produce offerings are not as lovely as summer's, but lots of the good stuff will be in season for another month or so.  Time to go cold turkey (literally) on the sugar and get back to what I know works for me.

Do you let things slide in summer? How do you plan to get back on track?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/Studio-Annika

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I don't let things slide in summer.  We probably eat healthier during the summer because of all the fresh produce that's available..

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Oh yes, were the same as you! I can't wait to get back to "normal "get back on my schedule, get back to eating normally .. I do much better with everything when I'm on a routine!
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I think it does slide a little. Kids are out shopping with me and I give in a little in the summer. Ice cream a few times....
JennMcBride
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Same here

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't let things slide in summer.  We probably eat healthier during the summer because of all the fresh produce that's available..

megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I think winter is much worse! Being cooped up inside with all the holiday bake goods.. :(

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I agree and it's the one time of year I bake a lot

Quoting megandwade:

I think winter is much worse! Being cooped up inside with all the holiday bake goods.. :(

terri76
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Nope i do not let things slide during the summer..we pretty much keep our schedule,because i work outside of the home and he volunteers at our aquarium alot of days....so we keep our busy schedule!!

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I do let things slide but not dinner.  My kiddos are snickers but dinner is healthy loads of veggies/meat

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I don't let things slide during the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I live off zuchini and watermelon during the summer. Lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement