The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

A Veggie Lasagna That's Easy On The Waistline

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
2 moms liked this

We are trying to watch our diets here (I stress the word "trying"), and I am finding it challenging to find healthy, light recipes that my almost 2 year old will eat. I am so not into making separate meals. I tried this recipe last week and it was a hit with everyone, I highly recommend it.

Ingredients:

1 large onion

1 large zucchini

4 large tomatoes, chopped

4 tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup fresh basil

5 minced cloves of garlic

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

4 cups low-fat chicken broth

5 tbsp flour

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

1 egg

1 package of no-cook lasagna noodles

1/2 cup fresh Parmesan

3/4 cup shredded fontina

5 basil leaves, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Chop the onion, zucchini and tomatoes and toss in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes. Combine the roasted veggies with the 1/4 cup fresh basil, garlic, salt and pepper and set aside. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.

In a saucepan, add 1 of the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the chicken stock until simmering. Whisk in the flour and then add the cream and mustard. Beat the egg in a separate bowl and then temper it (that is, whisk it as you drizzle 3 tablespoons or so of the hot mixture into it very slowly). This keeps the egg from scrambling during the next step, which is to add the egg to the hot sauce. Stir in the salt and pepper. The sauce should be somewhat thick at this point. Remove from heat and set aside.

Use the last tablespoon of olive oil to grease a 9 x 9 dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the dish, top with noodles, 1/2 of the vegetables, 1/2 of the Parmesan, noodles, 1/2 cup of sauce, the remaining half of the vegetables, the remaining half of the Parmesan, and the last layer of noodles. Pour all of your remaining sauce over the top of the lasagna and top with the fontina cheese and chopped basil.

Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.

Do you have any light recipes that are also kid-friendly?

(c)istockphoto.com/lenazap

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joeannaanthony
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I love veggies and can't wait to try some of these great recipes. Who needs meat when one has these delicious recipe choices!

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Love lasagna like this. I would omit the onion.
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:00 AM

tfs

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM

sounds delicious, but a lotta work for a noodles & sauce dish. 

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I don't know if I would like this recipe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I make an appetizer-type veggie pizza that the kids love:  simple pizza crust on the pan, bake, top with cream cheese & ranch dressing mix, then top with an assortment of chopped veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, black olives, diced bell peppers, etc.).  It's one of my kids' favorites!

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds easy and tasty. I've roasted the veggies for veggie lasagna and like the flavor.

JennMcBride
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Sounds good
RobynS
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

since I am gluten-free, I have made lasagna using thin strips of zucchini in place of the noodles. It was awesome! :)

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM
That looks yummy.
I have none, I would love some though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)