Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home
Ive made it quite a few times but my dh didn't like it because its kinda coarse. Any tips for me?
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I haven't in a while but would like a bread maker. =)

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quoting JennMcBride:

I use an old family recipe its really simple. I've not used bread flour before. My mom says she doesn't think I kneaded it enough.

I agree with it needing more kneading. Also, grease your rising bowl and keep it out of drafts. Even though it says "rapid rise" (yeast), you need to give it some time.

A bread machine takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to make a loaf. I usually give mine the 4 or 5 hour time then bake. You can actually mix it and set it to rise in the morning and finish it up by supper time.

I saw a refrigerator roll on CM around the winter holidays for make ahead.  Bread flour is a heavier flour and if you don't use it all for bread making, use it for anything else that you need flour. I like the way that bread flour measures ... not so dusty.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I love to bake but that's one thing I have never tried beyond banana bread
RobynS
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I used to, but I haven't in a while. I have to eat gluten free now and the g-f bread mixes are pricey. I should still make bread for the fam, though. I just kinda got out of the habit.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I always keep frozen bread dough on hand!

terri76
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

This is totally off topic..but your avatar pic is totally adorable!!!!!

Quoting suetoo:

Bread flour gives a smoother crumb, (texture) and try milk instead of water. Good kneading is important to push the air bubbles out. I like the free Allrecipes app and I make all my dough in a food processor. Look at a few you tube videos to get a feeling for how to knead. The ball of dough will look and feel smooth and satiny. If you poke the dough with your fingertip and the poke hole stays, it's double in bulk. I use canola oil to oil my bowls and a damp cotton towel to cover my dough. I use my oven (off) to raise my bread as it doesn't like drafty places. I love to make different kinds and collect bread cookbooks. It's a relaxing putter in the kitchen and warm up the house project. Often, loaves are eaten before they cool. I use my mini loaf pan a lot, it has 4 small pans in one. Makes it just right for gifting. And if you mess up a batch, roll it out thin, fry it, dust with cinnamon and sugar...yum!

terri76
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I have never made bread before but have really wanted too!!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Good morning, Terri,

Thanks! :-) It is a picture of my grandson when he was 2 days old. To this day he's the smiliest, most happy natured little guy. All you really need for bread is flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Don't get discouraged if your first attempt or two doesn't raise enough, bread making takes a little practice. Even flat loaves make great toast or bruschetta.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I use to make bread all the time with the help of my bread maker....I should get back into it, I love fresh bread

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Ps. There is a great new flour readily available, now, too. A 100% whole wheat called 'white' whole wheat made from an albino strain of wheat. All the nutrition of whole wheat without the classic heavy wheatiness of the old fashioned kind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN