Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Unusual Kitchen Tools Part 1 - Porcelain Ginger Grater

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

I am a self-described kitchen gadget junkie. If it's new and cool, I have to have it - a well worth it hobby given all the cooking and baking I do on a weekly basis. But as I was browsing my local kitchen supply store, I found something that I was not expecting - a porcelain ginger grater.

Now your first question might be, what is the difference between a porcelain grater and a regular metal grater? The biggest difference is that the porcelain grater does not have the typical holes that are commonplace in regular graters. Instead it has little porcelain nubs that you can run your food against. The result is virtually the same, although most people say that the porcelain graters are better for smaller jobs.

Of course I had to get one, and I have it hanging on my wall, so it is easy to get to in a hurry.  Plus it looks so pretty! And I do find myself using it for quick jobs. It's better than pulling out and using the bigger grater, plus easier to clean.

Try it with nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, hard cheeses and of course ginger!

Moms, how many graters do you have in your kitchen and do you use then for anything that might be surprising?

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I have one larger and one smaller mircoplane. I use those a lot and for a variety of things. From garlic to cheese
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Dont have a grater

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I have 3 different graters.  I don't think I use them for anything out of the ordinary; one is for cheese only, the other two can be zesters and I use to do Parmesan cheese finely shredded.  I also shred carrots with the hand held one.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Forgot to mention garlic, I do use mine for that as well.

Quoting batjmom:

I have one larger and one smaller mircoplane. I use those a lot and for a variety of things. From garlic to cheese

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I didn't know what a porcelain grater looked like, so I had to look it up.  =-)

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I love it for garlic! I use to smash it and chip it but I do like it smaller with the grater

Quoting TerriC:

Forgot to mention garlic, I do use mine for that as well.

Quoting batjmom:

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I didn't know either! Thank you

Quoting TerriC:

I didn't know what a porcelain grater looked like, so I had to look it up.  =-)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I have 3.

sukainah
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I have one metal grater and a garlic press.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I have 1

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement