The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Unusual Kitchen Tools Part 2 - Slicers and Dicers

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

A knife is a knife if you ask me. You usually use the same type of knife for veggies and fruits. But if you prefer something a little more specialized, you could always pick up a specialty slicer. Most are designed to hold a fruit or vegetable in place while cutting. Some are dragged across the flesh of the fruit to create uniform chunks or bite sized pieces.

There's some specifically made for bananas, hardboiled eggs, tomatoes, avocados and more. So what's the attraction? While these tools are definitely kitschy, they do help in making precise cuts in difficult to slice foods. The end result is uniformed pieces perfect for whatever dish you are serving.

As for me, I'd rather spend the money on a great all-purpose knife rather than a variety of different slicers. Sometimes less is more when kitchen gadgets are involved.

So moms, what do you think of these slicers - useful or just plain silly.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Not for me.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I think they're great to clutter drawers.

I have this slicer/dicer.  It has it's own storage box to keep the stuff outta my kitchen drawers:

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Nope don't have one
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Not for me

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I do have a slicer that is for hard boiled eggs and it works well, but I do find myself pulling out my knife instead in most cases.  The egg slicer also works well for strawberries and mushrooms, but I still prefer a knife.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I just use a knife.

sukainah
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I don't need special knives for that.  Seems like a waste of money.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I have a dicer

Miranda1127
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I have an apple slicer and a small table top slicer. I like them, but the counter top one is a bit inconvenient so I really only use it for onions (so I can make a quicker job of it before they burn my eyeballs out).

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
... I'm not sure!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)