The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Healthy Up Your Labor Day Party

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

While summer hangs around for a few more weeks on the calendar and for sometimes a month or more based on the weather, there's no question Labor Day represents the last blast for 'summer' summer, the time with long languid days and fewer responsibilities. The pools and beaches close, the schools open, and like it or not, fall is on the way.

Many of us like to send summer off in style with a party, but a lot of barbecue favorites are less than optimal from a healthy-eating perspective. But if you open your mind and try some new simple, delicious recipes you'll be amazed at how much more satisfying a healthier approach can be.

*Switch up your protein. Instead of burgers or ribs, try shrimp (thread it onto skewers for easier turning), marinated flank steak, or chicken thighs. Or, of course, grill veggies: I toss halved peppers and slices of eggplant, summer squash and red onion with a little olive oil, fresh rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper, and throw them on the grill. Serve them up with cheeses and some grilled bread...even a carnivore will say yum.

Try new sides. Forget about mayo-laden potato salad or corn dripping with butter. Instead, grill that corn (here's a recipe for grilled corn with roasted garlic and herbs), or try a grain salad (like warm farro with braised radishes, or toss quinoa with corn, black beans, cilantro, and tomatoes and a bit of lime juice). And tomatoes are just coming in in many spots, so try an heirloom tomato salad. If you can't find or don't want to spend the money on heirlooms, good old backyard tomatoes are going to taste nearly as delicious and worlds better than a sad January hothouse tomato.

Rethink dessert. If you have a grill, some foil, peak-of-ripeness summer fruit, and a few other no-fuss ingredients, you can make an amazing dessert. Try grilling berries or nectarines in foil packets and then present them with grilled pound cake or frozen yogurt and crushed gingersnaps for a perfect light finale to summer meals.

What's on your Labor Day menu? 

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this

our menu:  grilled porterhouse steaks, corn on the cob with butter & salt & parmesan cheese, potato salad (made with mayo), and mixed veggie salad.  Dessert will probably be ice cream & fruit & brownies.

We eat healthy most other days; once in a while indulgences are allowed.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM

We have no plans.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM
We are going to my parents so hotdogs, hamburgers, corn, potato salad, coleslaw, Mac n cheese.. just a typical BBQ
sukainah
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Yummy, you're making me hungry.  We may have to try some of those!

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Your menu sounds good, we haven't planned on what to eat on Labor Day yet.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I don't know.  My SO is working most of the weekend, so we don't have plans.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I am thinking I will do a pork tenderloin, pasta and asparagus.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a good time with good food!  =-)

Quoting Peachy34500:

We are going to my parents so hotdogs, hamburgers, corn, potato salad, coleslaw, Mac n cheese.. just a typical BBQ

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm on my way!!!!!!   eating

Quoting michiganmom116:

our menu:  grilled porterhouse steaks, corn on the cob with butter & salt & parmesan cheese, potato salad (made with mayo), and mixed veggie salad.  Dessert will probably be ice cream & fruit & brownies.

We eat healthy most other days; once in a while indulgences are allowed.

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM
No menu.
I'm looking for some healthy recipes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)