Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Make These Granola Bars for a Healthy Lunchbox Treat!

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
3 moms liked this

School is starting up again. Are you parents with older kids completely excited to not have to scramble for daytime childcare and/or have the house back to yourselves again? I'm excited for you! Anyway, if you are looking for a yummy and wholesome snack to keep on hand to throw in lunchboxes, look no further! These granola bars will keep for the week, if you can keep yourself from chowing them down straight from the cooling rack.

Ingredients:

2 cups of rolled oats

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup wheat germ

2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup raisins

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup of honey

1/2 cup applesauce

1 egg

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large cookie tray, preferably one with sides.  In a bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients. In a second bowl, mix together all of wet ingredients, making sure the egg is thoroughly beaten. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir well. Pat the dough onto the cookie sheet so it makes a large, squarish shape in the middle of the pan about an 1/2 inch high. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the whole things starts to turn golden. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Cut into bars before it's cooled completely. If you want a crunchier granola bar, omit the applesauce.

What do you pack in your kid's lunchbox?

(c)istockphoto.com/MKucova

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:19 AM

This sounds easy enough...I normally pack fruit, granola bars, a sandwich, drink and maybe some sort of sweet in my child's lunchbox

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Sounds great for the kids and easy enough to make
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I pack a sub or whole grain wrap, granola bar, some type of fruit and a bottle of water
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Fruit, veggies, granola bars, pretzels, sandwich
terri76
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Ohhh these sound yummy!!! Sadly i do not pack my son's lunch anymore as he is 17 and prefers to get lunch at school!! LOL

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Those sound good. My dd eats hot lunch every day.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Not for us, thanks.

sukainah
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM

My kids eat at school and I'm not sure they would eat these, but they might be good.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Love granola bars!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Sounds good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement