Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Are you exposing yourself to harmful chemicals without even knowing?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
Canadians spend more than $275 million on household cleaning products in a year. We buy these products to fight germs, streaks, stains and odours to keep our homes sparkling clean. Cleaning is supposed to be about maintaining a healthy home, yet some common household cleaning products contain chemicals that can harm human health and the environment. What a mess.
You're probably familiar with the hazard symbols that appear on some cleaning products, along with word like "poison", "corrosive" or "irritant."

These hazard symbols warn consumers about acute health hazards associated with a single or short-term exposure to chemicals in the product.

But there is no parallel requirement in Canada for manufacturers to warn consumers about the health and environmental hazards associated with chronic, or long-term, exposure to chemical ingredients in household cleaning products. Most of us are exposed to cleaning products and their residues at low levels on a daily basis.

Are you aware of what is in your cleaning products? I have been using green products to ensure not only my families health but also my own. I've been in the process of converting my home to green products and I honestly sleep better at night knowing my children aren't exposed to chemicals that are suppose to keep them healthy.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kaybear123
by Kayla on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I've never thought about it. 

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM
good 4 u interesting
EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I usually use vinegar to clean. My mom left cleaning products for us when we moved in and I have been using them but I can tell they are irritating us. I need to gather them up and return them to her. Excessive hand washing can also be a problem. And fragrances can cause asthma.
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

All we use is Spic n Span.  Oh, and some Lysol. 

mom4difference
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I have been using a catalog brand of cleaning products and I must say my health and respiratory problems and my daughters have improved substantially!! It's amazing how something we use everyday can be harming us..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDQc6nwzFzA

Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Interesting.  I use mostly standard cleaning products in small doses but I have often thought about using more natural products to clean. 

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My MIL swears by vinegar! That's what she uses for everything.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

I usually use vinegar to clean. My mom left cleaning products for us when we moved in and I have been using them but I can tell they are irritating us. I need to gather them up and return them to her. Excessive hand washing can also be a problem. And fragrances can cause asthma.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Same here, Spic n Span & Lysol, but I've recently just tried something called Odorban. I love it! It has a Eucalypts sent.. I think I'm going to start using it in place of my usual cleaners. It says it Kills 99.99% percent of germs, Cleans, Deodorizes & Disinfects, Controls the Growth of Mold & Mildew.. and the sent lasts much longer and isnt as harsh as the other cleaners.

Quoting Kmakksmom:

All we use is Spic n Span.  Oh, and some Lysol. 

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I use a citrus cleaner that I make. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement