Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

All Peelers Are Not Created Equal

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

All peelers are not created equal and if you are a dedicated chef and kitchen gadget junkie, it's best to have both a y shaped peeler and a regular peeler in your tool drawer.

Y shaped peelers are larger and are better for bigger veggies and fruits - think potatoes, root vegetables, butternut squashes and more. It does a quick job of tougher skins and larger surfaces. It's great for peeling large quantities too. You'll definitely avoid that hand cramp! I used my y shape peeler for large granny smith apples when making a pie.

Regular peelers are great for smaller jobs and can be used to create designs in veggies for a great presentation. Try alternating stripes on a cucumber or zucchini. Yellow squash is a great canvas for this trick also.

Moms, what is your favorite kind of peeler and what kind of jobs do you used it for?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:08 AM

My peelers are like the one pictured, from Pampered Chef.  They're comfortable to hold and still peel as if they were new (and they're MANY years old.)

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I have one peeler similiar to the one posted. I use it for potatoes and cucumbers
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I have one like the picture
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I have only one peeler made by oxy. So far it works well but I'm not a kitchen guru ;)
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I only have one peeler that I use for everything...guess I need to get with the program

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too!  I always feel so behind the times with my kitchen gadgets, or lack there of!

Quoting sweetheart4171:

I only have one peeler that I use for everything...guess I need to get with the program

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I just have one from when I sold Cutco some 10 years ago. 

terri76
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I have just one peeler that i have had for many years...I got it from pampered chef and it is awesome!!!

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I use a regular peelser.  I only use a peeler for carrots.  I peel other things like potatoes with a knife.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I have one similar to the one in the pic.  Works great for me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement