Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Potato Ricers vs Mashers

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Summer is almost over but the heat is still lingering in many parts of the country. I know that in my neck of the woods, it's still about 90 degrees on a daily basis. So when I'm sweating out the last of summer's heat waves, my mind usually ventures to fall. And when I think of fall, I think of food - good home cooked, hearty meals. And what's heartier than potatoes. Am I right?

There are two methods for preparing the perfect mashed potatoes - a potato ricer or a potato masher.

A ricer forces the potato through small holes, which results in tiny rice like pieces. You can even rice your cooked potatoes with the skin on. But much like using a garlic peeler, you'll have to stop after every use and clean out the mess.  But for all that trouble your end result is lighter than air, fluffy potatoes that can be used in just about anything. And you're guaranteed no lumps.

A masher produces more of a homestyle kind of mashed potatoes that most people are accustomed to.  

In the end, both require a little muscle. Moms, which tool do you prefer, a masher or a ricer?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM

mashed

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I don't own a ricer so masher
megandwade
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I've never even heard of a Potato Ricer!

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I have neither a masher nor a ricer, but prefer my potatoes mashed, home style. 

terri76
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Masher

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I have neither but if I was to choose I think the masher....not sure about "rice like" potatoes, probably would be great when adding in a recipe

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I dont have either.. I do like mashed potato tho
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Mashed

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I've never heard of a ricer. I only have a masher.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Dont own either

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement