Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer is almost over but the heat is still lingering in many parts of the country. I know that in my neck of the woods, it's still about 90 degrees on a daily basis. So when I'm sweating out the last of summer's heat waves, my mind usually ventures to fall. And when I think of fall, I think of food - good home cooked, hearty meals. And what's heartier than potatoes. Am I right?

There are two methods for preparing the perfect mashed potatoes - a potato ricer or a potato masher.

A ricer forces the potato through small holes, which results in tiny rice like pieces. You can even rice your cooked potatoes with the skin on. But much like using a garlic peeler, you'll have to stop after every use and clean out the mess.  But for all that trouble your end result is lighter than air, fluffy potatoes that can be used in just about anything. And you're guaranteed no lumps.

A masher produces more of a homestyle kind of mashed potatoes that most people are accustomed to.  

In the end, both require a little muscle. Moms, which tool do you prefer, a masher or a ricer?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-39):
twinners.mama
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I have a ricer for when I make lefse.
cjoyner29
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM

At my house my kids love mashed tatoes so we use the masher or a mixer lol we even put sour cream in them instead of milk

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Masher
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM

i dont have a ricer so cant say how i like that

aneela
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

but i do like the idea it gives a softer end result

aneela
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

im sure they will come up with something electronic to do this too

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My husband hates mashed potatoes and only likes them with the ricer :)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Masher 

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

mashed, definitely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN