Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What About Lunches For You?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

So we're into the swing of the first week of school around here, and not only are we reacquainting ourselves with a regular schedule, we're packing lunches again. And it's not just my kids who are challenged to come up with lunch ideas. After years as a work at home mom, I am doing a graduate degree and have to do field work, which means I am working in an office regularly for the first time in several years. The food choices near my office are limited and so is my budget, which means brown-bagging it most days.

Luckily, the choices for carrying have expanded greatly since the last time I was packing lunch! I love leftovers, of course...the benefit to being the main cook is that I also get first claim on anything particularly delicious.  And you can even find insulated lunchboxes now that don't look like something you stole from your kid! I have a sassy orange-and-pink plaid model and several water bottles and insulated cups for coffee and veggie smoothies. 

I'm also fascinated with the idea of bento lunches. I am the kind of eater who would rather have little bits of several things than one big serving of something, no matter how delicious. Some of the examples of bento you can find online are beautiful but quite frankly entirely too much effort (I am not cutting clever little shapes out of vegetables for a regular everyday desk lunch!) while some bento lunches (like the ones at the link) sound fun to eat, require a reasonable amount of effort, and would be delicious.

I also love salads for lunch, but they don't always travel well. I'm using this awesome little salad container which keeps the salad, dressing, and fixings separate until you combine them; I found mine (pictured) at Old Navy of all places, but you can find similar things all over.

What are your brown-bagging must-haves?

Image via sistemaplastics.com

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susham
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:19 AM
I do agree that reasonable amount of efforts would make lunch healthy n delicious.Along with salads,i prefer fruits and sometimes sprouts.A combo of salad dressing sandwich is also an option.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Salads or leftovers are what I took.  I used simple leftover containers for both. 

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Turkey..grapes..water...nuts

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

vegan sandwich and fruit.

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Salads or vegetables and hummus
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

leftovers , salads wraps 

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I like sandwiches, salads, and leftovers. 

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Salads, leftovers, wraps, fruits and veggies

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

More times than not its leftovers since DH doesnt like to eat leftovers :)

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I have been going with the small cans of tuna, along with crackers and fruit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN