Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What About Lunches For You?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we're into the swing of the first week of school around here, and not only are we reacquainting ourselves with a regular schedule, we're packing lunches again. And it's not just my kids who are challenged to come up with lunch ideas. After years as a work at home mom, I am doing a graduate degree and have to do field work, which means I am working in an office regularly for the first time in several years. The food choices near my office are limited and so is my budget, which means brown-bagging it most days.

Luckily, the choices for carrying have expanded greatly since the last time I was packing lunch! I love leftovers, of course...the benefit to being the main cook is that I also get first claim on anything particularly delicious.  And you can even find insulated lunchboxes now that don't look like something you stole from your kid! I have a sassy orange-and-pink plaid model and several water bottles and insulated cups for coffee and veggie smoothies. 

I'm also fascinated with the idea of bento lunches. I am the kind of eater who would rather have little bits of several things than one big serving of something, no matter how delicious. Some of the examples of bento you can find online are beautiful but quite frankly entirely too much effort (I am not cutting clever little shapes out of vegetables for a regular everyday desk lunch!) while some bento lunches (like the ones at the link) sound fun to eat, require a reasonable amount of effort, and would be delicious.

I also love salads for lunch, but they don't always travel well. I'm using this awesome little salad container which keeps the salad, dressing, and fixings separate until you combine them; I found mine (pictured) at Old Navy of all places, but you can find similar things all over.

What are your brown-bagging must-haves?

Image via sistemaplastics.com

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Thankfully, I do not often have to pack my lunch because I am horrible at planning for myself. 

Other than leftovers, I often default to a frozen Healthy Choice meal or sandwiches. 

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Sounds like a good time to start thing something new :).  I know sometime we get so caught up in our mom-li it doesn't feel like we can even exist when not doing everything for our kids. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I am a SAHM, so I always had what the little kids had. 

This year, I don't have anyone home for lunch.... so I have no idea...lol

terri76
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Leftovers, Yougurt, Fruit, Sandwiches.. I take all kinds of stuff.. I switch back and forth depending on my mood! :-)

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I love fruit so that is one of my "must haves" along with a sweet....as for the main lunch idea it would normally be a lunch meat sandwich or salad

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I pack my hubby a sandwich, fruit, yogurt, string cheese, diet soda, chips and a dessert. For me, either a salad or leftovers, sometimes a sandwich. I also pack fresh fruit, yogurt and cheese. I am not big on cookies, chips or soda. Actually, I quit all soda just over a month ago.
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I also put a frozen water bottle and ice pack in my hubbys lunch.
campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I take leftovers and salads to work for my lunches. 

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

On Monday's my favorite is a fish slider with hash brown patties. Tuesday is corned beef n' Swiss on rye, salad with thousand island dressing. Wednesday is a charcoal pattie sandwich with lettuce/tomato and seasalt & pepper chips. Thursday I'd settle for a day off but I usually have a flaky health shake and a protein bar. Friday I sneak out and buy a steak sandwich & onion rings from a street vendor.

JennMcBride
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Leftovers or sandwiches
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

usually a pita with turkey, lettuce, tomato, cheese and a bit of italian dressing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN