Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Leftovers for Lunch

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Twice in the last few months, I have had a conversation with someone who says they don't like leftovers. They make sure they have just enough and no more when they cook and sometimes won't even do Thanksgiving, the big holiday of leftovers.

To which I say...whaaaaattt? Leftovers are a cook's..and an eater's..best friend. You should not only stop turning up your nose at leftovers when they happen, you should be planning for them when you cook. They make great lunches for the whole family and can even be surprisingly good as the base for other meals. And when 20 percent of all food produced ends up wasted, leftovers will save you money and help save the planet as well.

The most important thing in learning to love leftovers? Cook more. I mean, DUH, but I know, it can sound way too complicated. But making a double batch of something healthy that your family likes is not that much more work than you're already doing . You can each get a second meal out of it that way, and if there's enough left and it's freezer friendly....voila, homemade frozen meals at a fraction of the sodium and unpronounceable ingredients of the ones you buy at the supermarket.

Also, re-purposing leftovers can make them into something even more delicious. And no, I don't mean some scary casserole. Take a hearty stale bread and crisp it in the oven, then toss it with good olive oil, vinegar, basil and fresh tomatoes for a wonderful panzanella, or turn leftover roast pork into filling for spring rolls along with herbs, julienned carrot, scallions and whatever else you may like. Reheated meat can taste stale, but I find putting it in the oven on low wrapped in foil with just a little of the pan juices makes a lot of difference.

In order to save leftovers for other uses, we also follow the no cherry- (or cheese-, or chicken-) picking rule. That means you have to eat everything on your plate before you get seconds of any one thing. If you're so hungry you must have more food, you can eat the perfectly good broccoli on your plate before you hog three servings of the main dish.

Do you like leftovers for lunch? How do you use them?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/joebelanger

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM

We have leftovers for lunch VERY frequently.  DH takes them for his lunch at work, too.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Some things I won't eat leftover because it doesn't taste good...and some things to me are better the next day.. all depends what it is
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM

We love leftovers.  Usually, DH takes them for lunch.  If there is a lot of leftovers, I will make it into something else.  Say I made a lot of steaks, the next day, I cut the steaks into small bite sized pieces, cut up onions, jalapenos etc and saute everything together and make steak burritos.  We use leftover meat for burritos often.

thefiregoddess
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM
The mr will eat left overs. 98% of the time I will not.

Its not that I dont want to the majority of the time.. it's that I can't.

When reheated a lot of food dries out, and my stomach (which is damaged) can't handle that. So I tend to make enough for now, plus a lunch for s.o with every meal.

Hopefully in the next few weeks ill be able to have left overs again.
I desperately want meatloaf and mashed potatoes... cold!
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Yes...spaghetti is so good cold  and pizza!

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM
This is how I use leftovers as well. I turn it into a different meal.

Quoting TerriC:

We love leftovers.  Usually, DH takes them for lunch.  If there is a lot of leftovers, I will make it into something else.  Say I made a lot of steaks, the next day, I cut the steaks into small bite sized pieces, cut up onions, jalapenos etc and saute everything together and make steak burritos.  We use leftover meat for burritos often.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I think it is fun to create somehting else entirely out of a leftover meal.  =-)

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting TerriC:

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Me too. That's my only creative side. Lol

Quoting TerriC:

I think it is fun to create somehting else entirely out of a leftover meal.  =-)

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting TerriC:

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I eat leftovers for lunch all the time.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I have leftovers for lunch most days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement