Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Back to School Breakfast Shortcuts Part 2

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

I don't know about you, but it's a struggle to get my kids to eat breakfast each and every single morning. And now that school is back in session, we don't have time for it.  As a mom, you have to pick and choose your battles, so I've made a deal with the kids. I'm okay with them eating breakfast on the run or in the car, just as long as they eat something.

Here's our go to breakfast for most days during the week.

I stocked up on medium sized plastic cups (paper will do fine too). I place about two or three tablespoons of peanut butter at the bottom of the cup and then load in apple slices or other fruit pieces. It's great for dipping and it's a self-contained meal. You can also cut up toast or waffles into sticks and add those in as well.

You can try this with any kind of nut butter or if you're feeling sweet, some chocolate hazelnut spread. Not into nuts, try Greek yogurt. It's a little thicker than regular yogurt and therefore better for dipping. 

Moms, what kind of breakfast short cuts do you take in the morning?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Great idea.  Fruit and peanut butter is one of my go to after school snacks but I hadn't considered it for breakfast.  I love the idea of cutting up waffles or toast for dipping as well. 

We don't have many breakfast shortcuts here.  I just generally offer quick meals such as cereal or frozen waffles or toaster strudels. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I don't take breakfast shortcuts...it's an important meal and I don't mind planning ahead and taking the time to make a good hearty breakfast.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM

The apples and peanut butter would probably work for my kids!  If I am having a hard time getting them to eat, if I make toast with peanut butter they will usually at least eat a half a slice.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Good idea, not sure if my DD would do the pb and apples.. she would probably just eat the apples by themselves!
matt_sara_mom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Cook and prep ahead! I make egg muffins to toss in the microwave in the morning for 15 seconds. When I make waffles/pancakes I make a big batch and freeze what we don't need in serving sizes, frozen breakfast burritos, cut up fruit and peanut butter are a favorite here, muffins. Somedays just a pb sandwich makes my guys happy.

sukainah
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Those are great ideas!

So far, breakfast is what takes them the longest in the morning, so I get them up early so they can eat breakfast and not have to rush.  But perhaps when they get older and off to HS, this may change LOL

Mom2jngnc
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM

cold cereal.....I am not very creative and it's what my kids like.

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I agree with this.  

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't take breakfast shortcuts...it's an important meal and I don't mind planning ahead and taking the time to make a good hearty breakfast.

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Im a planner and i get up early so I dont have an issue getting kids breakfast in the morning

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

frozen waffles and juice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement