Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Chili

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 33 Replies

When making chili, do you use a recipe or just throw in a bit of this and a bit of that to suit your taste?  If you use a recipe, do you have a favorite or do you try new recipes often?   

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I am a little of this and a little of that kind of gal.   I made my first batch of chili of the season for the first day of football at request of my husband today.  I enjoy toying around with various seasonings and levels of heat in our chili.  It is usually just the 2 of us eating it as our oldest kid is 6 and won't eat chili even if it is mild anyway. 

aneela
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM

i dont make it often but when i do...i get a basic recipe off the net and then add stuff if i want to it

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

sort of a bit of both.

I use a chili seasoning recipe for the seasonings, but the rest is thrown together from ground beef/stew beef, tomatoes, peppers, onions, sometimes winter squash, and tomato or veggie juice.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I do this a lot myself.  This is actually what I do for most meals... Reference a recipe but add and subtract ingredients based on what we have and want at the time. 

Quoting aneela:

i dont make it often but when i do...i get a basic recipe off the net and then add stuff if i want to it

strictmomhere
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I try different seasonings i use chili powder and lots of onion and garlic:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

No recipe...I've made it so much, I just wing it. 

The essentials are: chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onions, garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes, beer, black beans, hot sauce, and if it is just DH and I eating it, I will add jalepenos or habaneros to it. We love chili and eat it quite often. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I throw it together
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I doubt I have ever made my chili the same way twice. The only thing that is the same, for sure, is that I always do it in the crock pot. I do use the same (homemade) chili seasoning, but I don't measure it out. So, the amount I put in each time is likely somewhat different. Besides, sometimes I want it spicier than others.
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

No recipe, a little of this and a little of that.

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I use a recipe as a base and then suit it to our taste. I still haven't found a chili recipe I love. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN