The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Learning to love... Green beans

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

The first vegetable up is green beans. I have just recently started experimenting with fresh green beans and am kicking myself for not canning (pun intended) the canned and frozen versions sooner. My husband hates green beans so they are one vegetable we used to avoid all together.  Then we began receiving a produce box which included string beans, so off I went in search of recipes to make even hubby like them. That's when I came across this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-Beans-with-Cherry-Tomatoes/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=green%20beans&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/green-beans-with-cherry-tomatoes/photo-gallery.aspx

Green beans with cherry tomatoes

1 1/2 lbs green beans trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces

1 1/2 cups water

1/4 cup butter

1 tbsp sugar

Garlic salt, pepper, and basil, each to your taste

2 cups cherry tomato halves

1. Place beans and water in saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Set heat to low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain water, and set aside
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Stir n sugar, garlic salt, pepper, and basil. Add tomatoes and cook stirring gently jufst until soft.  Pour the tomato mixture over the green beans, and toss gently to blend. 

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Please share your favorite ideas for green beans :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I saute fresh or frozen green beans with 1/2 lb. diced bacon.  I'll also add onion and fresh sliced mushrooms about half way through.  VERY good and my family loves them cooked this way.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Ew green beans
PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

You should try bacon, onions and butter with green beans --yum..

megandwade
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

The only veggie my DH does like is green beans.. but we rarely have fresh.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Adding bacon to anything usually helps :)

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You should try bacon, onions and butter with green beans --yum..

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Do you ever make them fresh?  They have a completely different taste fresh.  I like to undercook them just a bit to give them a tiny bit of crunch.  It's the mushy canned green beans that are nasty. 

Quoting kaybear123:

Ew green beans

Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I think I will do them like this next.  I think that would be good with fresh broccoli as well. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I saute fresh or frozen green beans with 1/2 lb. diced bacon.  I'll also add onion and fresh sliced mushrooms about half way through.  VERY good and my family loves them cooked this way.

susham
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Green beans go very well with brocilli,and can be added to mixed veggies,mixed vegetable rice.My family likes this and also the similar one above.
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I love green beans.....when I get the fresh I sauté the with olive oil and garlic.  Thanks for sharing the recipe, sounds good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)