Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Lunchtime Shortcuts for Mom

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

School is in full swing and while you might be thinking about how to perk up your child's lunch, you might benefit from thinking about your own midday meal as well. After all, you're going to need all the energy you can get to keep up with your new, frantic fall schedule.

Preparing a healthy lunch for yourself doesn't need to take a lot of time. Here are a few quick and easy shortcuts to get you on the right path.

Hard boil eggs at the beginning of the week, then pack them away for a protein packed snack.

Wash and cut veggies as soon as you bring them home from the market. These are great as salad toppers or alone for dipping.

Make your own trail mix with almonds, raisins, cashews and white chocolate chips. Stash a bag in your desk draw or in the cabinet for a quick fix to a mid day sweet tooth.

Mix in some low fat granola and fresh strawberries to cup of plain Greek yogurt.

Ditch dense bread and use whole grain tortillas to wrap lunchmeat, lettuce, tomatoes and more. A spread of hummus helps bind everything together.

Moms, what fast and easy shortcuts do you take to make sure you have a nutritious lunch for yourself each day? 

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Great ideas! I definitely have a problem remembering to take time for my own lunch.  Natural yogurt and granola has been my go to since the beginning of the school wear both for breakfast and snacks.  I am also in the habit of hashing all of my fruits and vegetables as soon as I buy them.  I find I am much mo likey to make myself a salad if I do not have to first wash everything. 

I love your tip for boiling eggs at the start of the week.  Having boiled eggs on hand is another quick way to add some protein to your salad as well. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Great tips!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:08 AM

We eat a lot of leftovers for lunch.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I also like to make big pots of soup, then freeze individual portions.  I will thaw as needed.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Thanks for the tips!
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM
I will sometimes eat leftovers .. and I am so bad about going out to lunch a little to much!
batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Great tips
batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I always cut up vegetable after returning from the store or farmers makerts.
Keeping fruit out as a snack
EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i like these ideas. though the last time i boiled eggs it didnt' end well. lol.

my fav is to buy pita bites (really just as cheap as pita) and a flavored hummous. i used this as lunch or a quick late night snack.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

good ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement