Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A Hearty Meatless Crock Pot Chili For These Cold Nights

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

I'm trying to cut back on my meat consumption, and this recipe is a great substitute for meaty chili. The beans are a great source of protein, and the smell of butternut squash, sage and apples simmering all day in the crock pot makes me very, very happy. This chili is hearty and warming, and perfect for a healthy and low stress dinner. I usually serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich to make a more filling meal.

Ingredients:

4 cups of cubed butternut squash

3 stalks of celery, minced

2 rep peppers, minced

2 apples, peeled and chopped

2 large shallots, minced

1 15 oz can of chickpeas

1 15 oz can of kidney beans

2 cups of apple cider

1 cup water

2 tbsp bouillon (I prefer chicken, but veggie if you want to keep it meatless)

1 splash of apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper

2 tsp of dried thyme

3 tbsp of fresh sage, minced

Throw all the ingredients in a crockpot in the morning on low, it should be ready by dinnertime, or 8 hours later. You can puree it smooth, or leave as is for a chunkier stew.

Do you have any hearty meatless recipes?

(c)istockphoto.com/lisinski

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaybear123
by Kayla on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM

No I don't.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:17 AM

I couldn't eat this.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I don't make meatless dinners for nutrition's sake, but I do have a few recipes from my brief vegetarian days.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Macaroni pie with mushroom sauce (this is a microwave recipe but I think it can be adapted to the oven if you like)

• 1/3 c. dry bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 7 to 8 oz. macaroni rings (or use regular macaroni), cooked and drained
  • 1 c. creamed cottage cheese
  • 3/4 c. to 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper

Mushroom Sauce

• 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 4 oz. can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 1 Tsp. instant minced onion
  • 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and margarine in a 2 cup measure. Microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until light brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Set aside.

Mix hot macaroni, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper. Turn into greased 9 inch pie plate. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on medium (50%) 8 minutes. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over pi. Microwave uncovered on medium (50%) until center is almost set, another 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

MUSHROOM SAUCE: Mix all ingredients in 4 cup measure. Microwave uncovered on high, stirring every minute until hot and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Baked Beans

• 1 lb. dry navy beans (I've also used black-eye peas or great northern beans)
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3/4 c. ketchup
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 - 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 tsp. salt

Soak beans in water overnight in large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and discard water. Mix together all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.

Note: I often soak the beans the day before, cook them and then cook in crock pot overnight.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:22 AM
2 moms liked this

This is the BEST baked macaroni & cheese according to my oldest son.

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

• 16 oz. box elbow macaroni
  • 1/4 c. margarine or butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. ground mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (this does not make it hot, it adds zest!)
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 3 c. half and half or milk or 50/50 of each (I use 2 cans of evaporated milk for this)
  • 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 lb. Velveeta, cut into small cubes
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2 quart or larger casserole dish. Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente (do not overcook the pasta), about 7 minutes. Drain but do not rinse. Place in a bowl and add another 2 Tbsp. butter to prevent sticking, set aside.
Melt 1/4 c. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in minced garlic, onion powder, mustard powder and cayenne pepper; stir with a wooden spoon for about 3 - 4 minutes. Add in flour and stir for 1 minute. Slow add milk and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Reduce heat and add in cheddar and Velveeta cheeses; mix until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine. Transfer to casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Santa Fe Beans & Rice

• 2 c. cooked white rice (2/3 c. uncooked long grain white rice, 1 1/3 c. water, combine in pan and boil about 14 minutes until rice is tender)
  • 1 15 oz. can or 2 c. cooked black beans
  • 1 c. frozen corn or 8 oz. can sweet corn kernels
  • 1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
  • 1 c. salsa
  • 1 c. lowfat sour cream
  • 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 small red or white onion, sliced or diced, your choice
  • 1 small can sliced black olives (or more if that's your preference)

Preheat oven to 350°. IN a large bowl, combine drained beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, 1 c. cheese, and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish and top with onions and olives. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cheese is melted. I served mine with homemade tortilla chips.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Olive Garden Style Vegetarian Lasagna
A bountiful vegetable mixture, a rich ricotta cheese mixture, and a homemade, cream sauce make this vegetarian lasagna well worth the extra effort.

Ingredients
Alfredo Sauce:

• 1/2 lb. Sweet or salted butter
  • 12 oz. Heavy cream
  • Fresh ground white pepper
  • 1 1/2 C. Fresh Parmesan -- grate
  • 18 slices Mozzarella cheese -- 1/2 oz. ea

Ricotta Mixture:

• 1 pint Ricotta cheese
  • 2 oz. Romano -- grate
  • 3 oz. Mozzarella -- shred
  • 2 Tbs. Green onions -- slice
  • 2 tsp. Fresh parsley -- chop
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried oregano
  • 1 1/4 C. Alfredo sauce – cooled

Vegetable Mixture:

• 4 C. Broccoli florets
  • 2 C. Carrots; sliced 1/4" -- then chopped
  • 4 C. Mushrooms -- slice 1/4"
  • 2 C. Red bell peppers -- dice
  • 1 C. Green bell pepper -- dice
  • 1 C. Yellow onion -- dice
  • 2 C. Zucchini -- slice

Lasagna noodles

Directions
Lay out enough dry lasagna noodles in a 9x13 pan to ensure you have enough to make 3 full layers, with very little overlap on each layer. Remove the dry strips and cook according to package instructions until barely "al dente" and drain.

Alfredo Sauce: Heat water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler. Add butter, cream and pepper to the top pot and heat until butter is completely melted, then stir in Parmesan until melted and blended. Remove top pot and set aside to cool. Divide the sauce into 2 equal portions. Refrigerate 1 portion for use later.

Ricotta Cheese Mixture: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Set aside at room temp.

Vegetables: Combine all veggies and mix well.

Assembly: Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable spray. Lay out cooked lasagna strips (about 4) to cover entire bottom. Spread 1-1/4 c of the Ricotta mix evenly over the strips. Top with 8 c of veggie mix and spread out evenly. Lay out 9 of the mozzarella slices to cover the veggie layer. Repeat this layering. Top the second layer of mozzarella slices with lasagna strips and spread them evenly with 1-1/4 c ricotta cheese mix to finish. Cooking: Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray and cover the baking dish tightly with the foil, sprayed side down. Bake in a preheated 375~ oven for about an hour or until the internal temp is 165~. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes, covered, before cutting and serving. Immediately prior to serving, heat the reserved portion of Alfredo Sauce and ladle the hot sauce over each slice of lasagna as it is served. Serves 8.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Vegetarian Meatloaf

Add salt to water and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cook until very soft and most of the water is gone. Drain and partially mash lentils. Scrape into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add onion, oats, and cheese and mix. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Spoon into a loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth top with the back of the spoon. Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes, until top of loaf is dry, firm, and slightly golden brown. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Loosen loaf by inserting and running a knife along the sides between the loaf and the pan. Turn out loaf onto serving platter. Top with more sauce if desired.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Lentil vegetable stew

• 3/4 c. 1/8-inch carrot slices (about 1 large carrot)
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 c. hot water
  • 1 16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 4 oz. can mushroom pieces
  • 3/4 c. uncooked dry lentils
  • 1/2 c. sliced celery
  • 2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. or 1 cube instant beef boullion
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 c. hot water

Add carrot, onion, and garlic to a casserole dish with a little water. Cover loosely and microwave on high for 4 minutes; break up and stir. Cover and microwave 3 to 4 minutes longer.

Stir in 2 cups hot water, stewed tomatoes (with liquid), mushrooms (with liquid) and remaining ingredients except 1 cup water. Cover tightly and microwave on high stirring every 6 minutes, until vegetables are tender, 24 to 28 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup hot water. Serve with crusty French bread if desired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement