Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Salad and kids

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM
  • 27 Replies

I used to never bother preparing or expecting my kids to eat salad.  Instead I would give them as a side the salad veggies such as tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers minus the lettuce.  This is still often what we do.  However, one day I discovered quite by accident the way to make my girls eat salad.  I prepared salad for DH and I in a large bowl and left it sit out to serve ourselves from.  Meanwhile the girls would sneak up and start grabbing bits from our salad. They started with their favorite tomatoes, and before long had eaten more than a serving a piece f the whole salad all because they thought they were being sneaky.  

Tonight I did the same with the big bowl of salad and they happily scooped  salad onto their plates, munching away on lettuce pretending to be bunny rabbits. My younger daughter had cheese on hers but no dressing while my eldest stuck to the bare salad. 

Do your kids like saad? Is there anything you do to make it more appealing for them? 

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

My kids enjoy salad.  We often have main dish salads like taco salad, cheeseburger salad, pizza salad, sloppy joe salad, ham & cheese salad, fajita salad, etc.

godsgirl26
by ♥ Charmaine ♥ on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
My kids love salads and so do I.
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
My DD has always loved salad! She eats it w/o dressing but loves scooping out her own! And while I'm making it she comes in and grabs tomatoes, cucumbers etc
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My kids have always enjoyed the salad bar at restaurants. I think giving the kids apple sauce or Jell-o with their meals at restaurants is becoming unpopular. While my kids like garden salad, they're not crazy about potato salad or slaw.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

My kids love salad but instead of lettuce we serve either romaine or spinach

KellyFlavis
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My kids thou grown up dislike salads. I wish I knew the magic potion to making them enjoy salads. I just love salads and wishmy kids too did.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM

My DD (7) likes salad as long as it doesnt have "purple lettuce" - even though in some types of lettuce the green and the purple taste the same, it doesn't matter to her.  My DS (2) is still at the age where he picks it apart - but he will still eat the lettuce on it's own as long as he has ranch to dip the various veggies into.

matheson7
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
My kids love salads.
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I need to start doing more "main dish" salads. 

Right now, I have been making a Vidalia Onion Chicken Salad with Baby Greens, dried cranberries, granny smith apples, glazed walnuts/pecans, grilled chicken, and Sweet Vidalia dressing.  That seems to be a big hit...

We all love taco salad, but it is not something I think to make, and I love fajitas - so fajita salad sounds amazing! Good thing I haven't done my grocery shopping for this week yet, I see a menu change for the week and a lot more salads in our future.

Quoting michiganmom116:

My kids enjoy salad.  We often have main dish salads like taco salad, cheeseburger salad, pizza salad, sloppy joe salad, ham & cheese salad, fajita salad, etc.

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

my son does not enjoy salad because of texture issues but we found veggies that he does like so he's still getting a well rounded diet. for my dh its a crunch issue. me too really. we need lots of crunch so i add pumpkin seeds or walnuts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement