The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Apple Skillet Cake

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

I found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman website years ago. This cake is quite possibly my favorite dessert of all times, and that is saying a lot, because I like my desserts. With all the apple picking going on this month, I thought I'd post this recipe now in case any of you find yourselves with an abundance of crisp, tart apples. Sure, the amount of butter in this cake is terrifying, but if you think of it as a "sometimes" cake it might make it less scary. I always make mine in a cast-iron skillet, but I think any skillet that you can also put in the oven will do.

Ingredients:

1 3/4 sticks of butter

3/4 cups granulated sugar

4 or 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (or if you're in New England, Macintosh)

1 stick of butter

2/3 cup of sugar

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 pinch of salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 other Granny Smith or Macintosh apple, peeled and cubed

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, In your skillet, heat the butter and sugar over low heat stirring well to combine until melted. Add your sliced apples, fanning them out so they overlap a little bit and look kind of pretty, Don't worry about perfection because they will be sure to get a little messed up when you flip your cake over later, anyway. Allow the apples to cook over low heat while you mix the batter.

In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using a mixer or your incredible arm strength. Add the eggs and vanilla, and then the sour cream. In another bowl mix the dry ingredients together, and then mix those gradually into the creamed butter. Once there are no lumps, stir in the apple chunks.

The apples in the skillet should be pretty golden by now, and bubbling with buttery sugar. Remove the skillet from the heat and drop the batter onto the apples by the spoonful. Try to spread the batter out to the edges of the pan without messing up the apples underneath too much, and then put the whole thing in the oven for up to 25 minutes. Once done, allow to cool for a few minutes and them invert onto a pretty serving plate. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Do you go apple picking in the fall?

(c)istockphoto.com/DebbiSmirnoff

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Oh wow! That looks amazing! We may have to go get some apples tomorrow just to try this! 

We do go apple picking! We went two weekends ago to our favorite place! Sadly our apple orcherd didn't have our favorite kind of apples left though so next year I'm putting on the calander to go earlier! The apples we got there are already gone lol. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I've made this recipe using almond flour instead of all-purpose flour, and I forgot the sour cream...it still turned out really good!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:16 AM

....and yes, we go apple picking in the fall, but not at a farm. 

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM
We do go apple picking in the fall
batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I like a lot of her recipes i will try this one
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Yes we enjoy it!

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I just made a pineapple upside down cake in  my cast iron pan!

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Sounds good!  We may go apple picking this year.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Mmmm Yummmmm! thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)