Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Football Food That Won't Make You Look Like a Player

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

I confess...the appeal of football escapes me. Football food, however...now that's another story. Warm, cheesy dips, big sandwiches, nachos, wings...yum yum. But you can easily blow through two days worth of fat, sodium and calorie allotments if you're not careful!

Luckily, there are ways to make game-day snacks healthy and delicious. After all, football players burn tons of calories during a game. If you're coaching them from the couch through the TV screen? Not so much. Try these healthier swaps to make game-day food both fun and good for you.

1) Skip the chip. There's no law that says you must use a fried, salty chip as the vehicle to deliver dips to your mouth. Try cut-up celery, endive leaves, or make your own baked tortilla chips.

2) Choose the right dip. Replace cheesy, gloppy fat bombs with spicy bean dips, good-fat guacamole, or a lower-fat version of favorites like spinach and artichoke dip that lets the veggies sing.

3) Serve a meal, not snacks. I love snack foods as much as the next person, but a healthy bowl of chili or a veggie-packed turkey sub fills you up with a lot more nutrition than the smaller bites, and keeps you from eating 1,500 calories of snacks alone.

4) Skin those wings. Chicken wings are not terrible for you, except when they are left skin on, deep fried and then slathered with a half-butter, half hot sauce mixture a la typical buffalo wings, or coated in sugary, sticky barbecue sauce. Take the skin off, step away from the deep fryer, and focus on flavor over fat and sugar in your sauce choices. Or sub in boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a skewer topped with a spicy jerk sauce for the enjoyable "meat on a stick" factor. 

5) Go mini. Itty bitty Reubens made with cocktail rye, turkey burger sliders, or baby potato skins offer the taste of their full size counterparts without the calorie wallop. Just stop at one!

What are your favorite football snacks?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/Sebalos

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

chips with dip

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Pizza!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Well, you can also BAKE the chicken wings and then add sauce.  My guys love that, and skinned chicken wings don't hold together very well (speaking from experience)  LOL

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I make a simpler version of the artichoke dip that we can literally eat on its own, it's that good.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:57 AM

chips & salsa go over well....no demand for the heavy melted processed cheese food.

michiganmom116

fudge brownies

michiganmom116

cheese ball & crackers....there's a large variety to choose from

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Pasta salad, veggie sub with no meat.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM
We love football here!!

Vegetables and hummus
batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Rice chips with homemade salsa
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement