Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Making Meatloaf Healthy

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Meatloaf is classic comfort food, and like many comfort foods was born of a need to stretch a little bit of food to feed a lot of people. You take a pound of ground meat, add extenders like vegetables and breadcrumbs and bind it all together with an egg, and boom: a pound of meat feeds a family of four, maybe even with leftovers for sandwiches the next day.

The downside is, while meatloaf is delicious, it is not always healthy. Classic recipes use fatty ground pork and hamburger, along with salt-laden add-ins like crushed crackers or seasoning packets. Some even incorporate little pockets of cheese (okay, THAT would probably be good enough to make it worth the saturated fat and calories!).

But it's not hard at all to healthy up this classic family recipe and make it as good for you as it is good tasting. Once you have the basic formula nailed down, you can vary the ingredients so that they are better for you and customize them so they are just the way you like.

The easiest substitution is to swap out fatty meats for leaner ones like ground sirloin or ground turkey. These are great places to start; the downside is that ground sirloin can be dry, while turkey can be both dry and flavorless. That's where your add-ins come in, the most necessary of which is vegetables.

Vegetables are essential because they add flavor, bulk and moisture. You want quite a lot, about a third of the volume of your meat, maybe even more depending on your taste. Some recipes call for cooking them first, others call for chopping them very small. I whir mine in the food processor until they are very finely minced, then add them into the meat raw; I've never had an unpleasantly crunchy-raw veggie surprise yet. You can pretty much play around with whatever you like; the only thing I would say not to omit is onion, because their deep flavor plays so well with meat and is part of that classic "meatloaf" taste we all love. You can try carrots, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, even spinach (which goes really well with turkey meatloaf). Bonus: this can be a way to sneak vegetables past picky eaters because they just sort of disappear into the mix.

Next up is your starch, which is generally breadcrumbs or crackers, although when my husband did the South Beach Diet we had a grain-free meatloaf using white beans which was really good. You can use whole grain bread to make your breadcrumbs, or lower-sodium crackers for your cracker crumbs. Or you can make a panade, a paste of bread and milk that adds moisture and helps tenderize meat.

Then comes the fun part....spices and sauces to add flavor. Be judicious with sugary sauces like barbecue sauce and ketchup; try thinning them with water to make more of a glaze instead of brushing them on full-strength. And just don't bother with those awful salty seasoning packets; instead, try spices and herbs you already know you like. Oregano is yummy in meatloaf; so is thyme, or try salt-free seasoning blends.

What's your favorite trick to make meatloaf healthy and yummy?

Image ©IStock/adlifemarketing

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM
I used to use 3 lbs. of 80/20 beef when I made meatloaf, but I started substituting a lb. of 90/10 or 92/8 beef for one of the lbs. of 80/20. Not only is it healthier, but the meatloaf holds together better with that slight reduction in fat. I also really pack in the veggies: onions, chopped peppers, mushrooms, and whatever else I feel like putting in. Instead of breadcrumbs or crackers, I typically use oatmeal. It works well as a binder, and it's tasty. I never use a glaze, but I do add some barbecue sauce to the meat as I'm combining the ingredients. For the 3 pounds of meat, I use 1/2 cup of our favorite barbecue sauce, at most.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I'm not afraid of saturated fat, which our bodies need and most of which cooks out of the meatloaf anyway.

I use grass-fed beef, which is naturally lean.  Two pounds of beef.  Two eggs.  Garlic.  Onions.  Diced peppers.  Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.  Sometimes I'll roll it up with provolone cheese for stuffed meatloaf.  No starchy fillers needed, no sauce needed...this is delicious!

Rhonda

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I use extra lean ground beef.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We use grass-fed beef and I make my own sauce.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I make mini cheddar meatloaves. I blend ground turkey with a bit of ground pork (turkey is bland by itself). Shredded cheese goes into the mix, onion, oats, etc.

I shape them into little football-shaped loaves and add a sauce made of ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard.

pinkpaisley8709
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I add shredded yellow squash and zuchinni, and an orange and red sweet pepper paste to mine. It's a great way to sneak lots of extra veggies in for picky kids, and gives the loaf really great texture. add whole grain bread crumbs, instead of regular

pinkpaisley8709
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM

mrs. dash onion and herb, garlic and herb, and tomato basil are great for meatloaf. all are salt free

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. It's a little trick I learned from watching my mom.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Sounds about the same as my meatloaf, minus the peppers..

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm not afraid of saturated fat, which our bodies need and most of which cooks out of the meatloaf anyway.

I use grass-fed beef, which is naturally lean.  Two pounds of beef.  Two eggs.  Garlic.  Onions.  Diced peppers.  Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.  Sometimes I'll roll it up with provolone cheese for stuffed meatloaf.  No starchy fillers needed, no sauce needed...this is delicious!

krys1025
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I have no tricks but these are great ideas
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN