Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Homemade Onion Dinner Rolls

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

As far as fresh made bread items go, this recipe is actually pretty easy as it requires no kneading, just plenty of rise time in a warm space. Make these rolls to go with sliders, or to serve alongside a warm stew.

Ingredients:

2 cups warm water

1/2 ounce active dry yeast

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

6 tablespoons butter, melted

6 cups of flour

3 medium onions

3 tablespoons olive oil

In a bowl, mix the warm water, yeast and sugar together and let sit until foamy, or 10 minutes. While that is happening, chop your onions finely and saute them in the olive oil on medium until golden brown. 

Stir the salt, eggs and butter into your yeast mixture. Gradually add in the flour and onions, stirring well. Brush the dough mixture with a little oil and cover with Saran Wrap, allowing the dough to rise for an hour or so in a warm place.

Once the dough has doubled in size, divide the dough into quarters, and then divide those quarters into quarters, until you have sixteen balls of dough. Gently roll these balls between your palms and place into a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan. Cover loosely again and allow the dough to rise for another 40 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, brush the dough with butter and bake for 20 minutes.

Do you ever make homemade rolls?

(c)istockphoto.com/Juanmonino

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaybear123
by Kayla on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Yum. Only on the holidays.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:25 AM

These sound good, if we ate bread.

I used to make all of our rolls: whole wheat, oat, plain, etc.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I do not.  I have never quite gotten the yeast things down.  I would love to try again though. 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I'd love to make these.....sounds so easy and good!  I never had much luck with making my own rolls, I tried it once and they didn't rise

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Think that is where my problem is too

Quoting TerriC:

I do not.  I have never quite gotten the yeast things down.  I would love to try again though. 

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I have not
Now take the onion out and use garlic I might attempt these
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Yummo!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I love homemade bread! These sound yum and I'll add garlic. Have to google yeast conversions from ounces, tho. The clue to happy yeast is having the water hot, but not killing hot. After you mix the water and sugar with the yeast, as it proofs, the top of the water should get thickish and foamy in about 6 minutes. Happy Baking!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Sounds good!  We usually only have rolls at the holidays.

jen113000
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I've never attempted homemade rolls. These sounds awesome though!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN