Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

stuffed cabbage

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi. i recently tried to make stuffed cabbage for the first time AND it didn't come out all that great. Has anyone had success making this dish? Do you make it in the oven, stovetop or slowcooker? 

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

i've never made it but it sounds yummy! i hope someone has a better answer for you.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup. We call them piggies! 

Boil the head of cabbage until it's bendable. Fill with the meat and rice (already cooked). Put in a pan on stove top. Cover with tomato soup. Cook on low for 1.5hrs. 

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I like the ingredients in cabbage rolls but I've never made the roll. I do like the layered casserole (same ingredients as cabbage rolls) or a skillet style cabbage (same ingredients).

MommeisQueen
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Okay, thanks. I think I didn't let mine cook long enough. The reciepe I had said 45minutes but the cabbage wasn't quite tender enough.   

Quoting kaybear123:

Yup. We call them piggies! 

Boil the head of cabbage until it's bendable. Fill with the meat and rice (already cooked). Put in a pan on stove top. Cover with tomato soup. Cook on low for 1.5hrs. 

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I make cabbage rolls almost once a month! We love them here..

I make mine in the slow cooker and I over cook them. Probably 6-8 hours. I hate if you can't cut the cabbage with a fork!

I use hamburger, cooked rice, Parmesan cheese, & onion soup mix. I add a little bit of tomato sauce to the mix. Cover with canned Spaghetti sauce or V8 tomato juice. I always add Tomato paste because we like a thicker sauce. Serve with Mashed Potatoes! 

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I've never made them...
virginiamama71
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

this

Quoting batjmom:

I've never made them...

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Sorry I've never made them
MommeisQueen
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

yes. now that sounds good. I'm going to give it a try again this weekend. Thanks

Quoting megandwade:

I make cabbage rolls almost once a month! We love them here..

I make mine in the slow cooker and I over cook them. Probably 6-8 hours. I hate if you can't cut the cabbage with a fork!

I use hamburger, cooked rice, Parmesan cheese, & onion soup mix. I add a little bit of tomato sauce to the mix. Cover with canned Spaghetti sauce or V8 tomato juice. I always add Tomato paste because we like a thicker sauce. Serve with Mashed Potatoes! 

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

slow roaster and Yes I make it all the time 

take the core out of cabbage head, wilt cabbage in boiling water pealing each leave off and letting it get wilted. mix ground beef or pork 1/2 and 1/2 whatever you like... rice ( cooked), onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, egg. Tomato sauce and 1 can of sauerkraut (drained) .. 

you stuff each wilted leaf with meat mixture, big or broken leaves are used to line the pan.... sauce, cabbage , stuffed cabbage roll, sauce , sauerkraut , cabbage , cabbage rolls, sauce, sauerkraut  cook 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement