Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Hi. i recently tried to make stuffed cabbage for the first time AND it didn't come out all that great. Has anyone had success making this dish? Do you make it in the oven, stovetop or slowcooker? 

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (11-16):
MommeisQueen
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

thank you this helps...because I wasn't sure what to do with the center of the cabbage whose leaves were to stiff or small to be stuffed. I am definitly doing this again this weekend now.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

slow roaster and Yes I make it all the time 

take the core out of cabbage head, wilt cabbage in boiling water pealing each leave off and letting it get wilted. mix ground beef or pork 1/2 and 1/2 whatever you like... rice ( cooked), onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, egg. Tomato sauce and 1 can of sauerkraut (drained) .. 

you stuff each wilted leaf with meat mixture, big or broken leaves are used to line the pan.... sauce, cabbage , stuffed cabbage roll, sauce , sauerkraut , cabbage , cabbage rolls, sauce, sauerkraut  cook 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. 

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

the inner leaves that are to small I save for ham and cabbage soup .... you should have enough of the bigger outer leaves ... 

AuntieV
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Like another poster, I like the flavor and what is in the cabbage rolls but don't like all of the fuss. I make what we call cabbage lasagna. I buy a whole head of cabbage and chop it in four pieces. Then I cut down through the core about an inch to two inches from the core end to get the biggest leaf sections away from the smaller ones. I then boil the big ones while they are still attached to the core section. Once they are fairly limp I pull them from the water and drain in a collendar.

While they are cooling I chop up the rest of the cabbage into pieces about the size of large postage stamps. After sweating the onions and browing my ground beef I add my "cabbage stamps" to the meat mixture to brown it a little. I add raw rice to the pan and mix everything together. While still on the stove I add my seasonings,one can of tomato soup and a little V8 juice. I let this simmer while I fix my Lasagna pan.

I use my large glass baking dish for this. First I mix another can of tomato soup and enough V8 so that I can pour it over the layers. I add just enough to my dish to coat the bottom. Then I cut the large leaf sections from the core and cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of them. I like to have four layers in total. Starting and finishing with with cabbage. I scoop and spread about 1/3 of meat/rice mixture over the big cabbage layer then add about 1/3 of the soup sauce. Add two more layers topping with cabbage and soup.

This goes into the ove at 350 for about one hour. If it seems to be drying out I add a LITTLE more V8 to keep it from drying out too much.  (My family likes the flavor of the soup soaking into the rice as it cooks)

Note: If you are uncomfortable with cooking this with raw rice try using raw minute rice the first time.

We slice it like you would real lasagna to serve. 

terri76
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Never made them but love them
MommeisQueen
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM

That sounds good, how do you make ham and cabbage soup?

Quoting jessicasmom1:

the inner leaves that are to small I save for ham and cabbage soup .... you should have enough of the bigger outer leaves ... 

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Quoting MommeisQueen:

That sounds good, how do you make ham and cabbage soup?

Quoting jessicasmom1:

after I make the cabbage rolls and have the center small leaves I put in the refrigerator for next day.. cut them up , peel a few potatoes and cut into chunks , diced ham 1 diced onion , garlic, salt and pepper with a pot of boiling water (ham base if you have any) boil until potatoes are soft enough to eat
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement