Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

apples

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

We are going to the apple orchard this weekend and I know I'll make an apple pie but after that I'm not sure what else to do with them...what do you do with apples? Does anyone have any recipes for apple preserves or apple butter? I've always wanted to try those.

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a very easy crockpot recipe for apple butter.  I'll BRB

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Crock Pot Apple Butter:

• 4 quarts sliced unpeeled apples
  • 2 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Place apples in crock pot. Top with mixture of sugar and spices. Let stand, covered, overnight. Cook covered, on high for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Put mixture through a food mill (we have a Squeezo). Ladle into 1/2 pint or pint jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with lids. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I make apple crisp, fried apples, apple muffins, apple pancakes, apple pies, applesauce, and cider.

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

homemade chunky apple cinnamon sauce is the best!!! idk how my mom does it, but it's sooo good. she freezes whole bags of it.

MommeisQueen
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM

this may sound like a weird question but: is there butter in the apple butter? lol.  I was sooo looking forward to a buttery apple butter to put on biscuits and bagels. shrugging

Quoting michiganmom116:

Crock Pot Apple Butter:

• 2 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Place apples in crock pot. Top with mixture of sugar and spices. Let stand, covered, overnight. Cook covered, on high for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Put mixture through a food mill (we have a Squeezo). Ladle into 1/2 pint or pint jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with lids. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My kiddos love homemade applesauce made in the crockpot and I made an oatmeal with apples in the crockpot too that my kids still talk about

MommeisQueen
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I just found a bunch of great recipes on pinterest .

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM
2 moms liked this

No, there's no butter.  Apple butter is a spread used LIKE butter, to spread on bread or muffins....it can even be used to make a pie.  If you want a buttery flavor too, just spread butter on your toast before spreading the apple butter.

Quoting MommeisQueen:

this may sound like a weird question but: is there butter in the apple butter? lol.  I was sooo looking forward to a buttery apple butter to put on biscuits and bagels. shrugging

Quoting michiganmom116:

Crock Pot Apple Butter:

• 2 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Rhonda

mamalynnsmith
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Eat them. Make apple sauce to go with pork chops. This weekend i am going to make carmel apple pie cheesecake.(my husband saw it on tv and asked if i would make it for him. )

Also i make a coffee cake that has apples 

What about muffins or cookies

mamalynnsmith
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Apple crisp

Put them in oatmeal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN