Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What's a Persimmon?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

If you're a fan of the farmer's market or have a well-stocked and fairly adventurous grocery store near you, you may find yourself tempted by produce you have never quite seen before and have no idea what to do with.

Like, for example, the persimmon. They look like orange tomatoes, but have a flavor described as something like papaya, with spicy, flowery overtones to the sweetness. Wtch out, though...that sweetness only happens when they are perfectly soft and ripe; an under-ripe persimmon is not something you want to eat, ever. I've heard them described as "industrial strength cleaner" if you mistakenly bite into one when they are under-ripe.

They are, apparently, quite common in Indiana and the Ozark region of the United States but not something you see a lot elsewhere. Mitchell, Indiana even has a persimmon festival every year, with a cooking contest for best persimmon recipe. And some people think persimmon seeds can foretell winter weather. Um, get a good pair of boots, my fellow Midwesterners.

Health-wise, they're a good bargain, like most fruit. They range between 70-120 calories or so, depending on size and type, and are fairly high in Vitamin C and potassium. They're good in salsas, puddings, and baked goods of all types and the rounder, more pumpkin shaped ones are delicious eaten fresh.

Have you tried a persimmon? What do you think?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/PicturePartners

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM
very occasionally I have seen them here in Boston
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I've never tried one...haven't even seen them in my area.

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Today at 8:35 AM
by Tracy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Never heard of one

Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Good to know.  A persimmon is one fruit  have not tried. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

No, I haven't.  I don't think I've ever even seen one.

jen113000
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Same here.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

No, I haven't.  I don't think I've ever even seen one.

Mom2jngnc
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Never even seen one. I have Wegmans.... I will have to look when I go shopping this weekend.

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

never tried or seen one

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Never heard of them.

balagan_imma
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I don't buy them. It's the one food to which I am allergic. It makes my face get numb and tingle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement