The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Fancy Butters and Cheeses for Holiday Parties

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM
  • 33 Replies

The holidays are quickly approaching and I'm already starting to think ahead to family gatherings and get togethers with friends. To keep from spending a fortune, I usually like to fall back on my tried and true kitchen short cuts. Remember, things don't have to be expensive to taste good and look fancy!

Wax paper is a constant staple in my utility drawer. I use it for so many things - from lining baking pans to wrapping sandwiches. But I also use it to make quick compound butters. Simply leave two sticks of unsalted butter out until room temperature. Then, mix in your favorite herbs like parsley, basil or thyme. Roll the whole thing up into a log form witht the help of wax paper and place in the fridge to harden and set. Once chilled, you can slice the butter and put on top of steak, veggies, or pasta. And, if looks great on a table too.

You can also try a similar method with goat cheese. Buy goat cheese in log form. Choose an mild herb, like cilantro, and dice it.  Roll your log of cheese into the diced herbs, then place in wax paper to keep fresh until you are ready to use it.

And there you have two simple ways to make excellent additions to your holiday table with ingredients and tools that you probably already have laying around the kitchen.

Moms, what do you use wax paper for in your kitchen?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaybear123
by Kayla on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I don't 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Wax paper:  Put no-bake cookies on it to cool, lay over top of foods when cooking in the microwave, use it to roll up a stuffed meatloaf.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM
2 moms liked this
the kids used to take sheets of it to the playground with the metal slide. makes them slicker
deadlights86
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Wax paper and the oven don't mix. I use parchment paper instead but lord that stuff is costly and only Reynolds and Wilton make it.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I don't use it.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

What a great idea for the holiday! We always have crackers with butter and cheese spread!

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

No-Bake Cookies, the only time I ever break out the wax paper!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Wax paper:  Put no-bake cookies on it to cool, lay over top of foods when cooking in the microwave, use it to roll up a stuffed meatloaf.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Cookies is when I use it the most
batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I'm going to try this making herb butter
virginiamama71
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I have not seen wax paper since I was a child. Every Mom including mine used it to line plates for cakes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)