Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Fancy Peeling for Fancy Parties

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM
  • 41 Replies

I'm a big fan of making ordinary food extraordinary. Things don't have to be complicated to be beautiful. Take for instance beautiful citrus fruit - oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits and tangerines. Cut it into wedges and it's just regular fruit, but use a peeler for the rind and now you're really talking.

Now that we are getting into the holiday season, it's not too soon to start thinking about signature cocktails or mocktails (drinks minus the alcohol). And one thing that can make your drinks really special is candied citrus rinds. All you need in a peeler or paring knife.

First wash the fruit carefully and thoroughly making sure to dry it completely so it's not slippery. Take the fruit, and using your tool, peel off skin in a circular fashion to the desired length. Once this step is done, you can either use the peel as is or boil it briefly in a bath of simple syrup. Once completed you can garnish your drinks with these delicious bits.

Moms, how do you make ordinary kitchen foods special?  

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Interesting, thanks!

I have a set of small cookie cutters in various shapes.  I like to use them to do things like cut designs in pie crusts or cut mini cookies out of dough.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I'm not very creative. I do have some different shaped for pancakes. Holiday forms
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I've never really fancified my food.  I want to look into doing it for the holidays..

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I have never been very artistic with food.  It would be fun to try though.

jen113000
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Yea me either. And I agree!

Quoting TerriC:

I have never been very artistic with food.  It would be fun to try though.

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
huh. never would have thought of that. we don't really host parties or make special drinks though. maybe I could add this to something else though. not really fancy, but sometimes I let ds pick out a special cookie cutter and we cut our sandwhiches into fun shapes
ceciliam
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I never really do anything fancy with food but I like when I see it.

Mrs.Brugger
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

'boil it briefly in a bath of simple syrup.'
...like breakfast syrup? I don't get it...Help =[ lol 

Mrs.Brugger
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The fanciest I ever got with food with birthday pancakes. I added a tiny bit of vanilla to the batter and then instead of chocolate chips I used sprinkles. They tasted great, but not too crazy. I should get a little more out of my comfort zone!

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I'm too busy for fancy food I'm afraid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN