Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A Perfectly Creepy Halloween Party Snack

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here's a snack that will make guests do a double take: Ladies Fingers, with red painted almond fingernails! Basically an untwisted pretzel decorated to look like a woman's severed finger, these bites are not for the faint of heart. Bake em' up and serve them at your next ghoulish gathering.

Ingredients:

Liquid red food coloring

Halved blanched almonds (about 24)

2 cups warm water

1 tsp sugar

1 package active yeast

5 cups all purpose flour

1 tbsp sea salt

2 tbsp baking soda

1 egg, beaten

1 tbsp olive oil to oil baking pan

Extra sea salt for the tops of the pretzels

Using the food coloring, paint the rough sides of the almond halves red on waxed paper and allow to dry. While they dry, add the warm water, sugar and yeast to a mixing bowl and allow to sit until foamy. Once foamy, using a dough hook attachment, start adding flour in batches of 1/2 cup until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl. Add in the sea salt, cover well, and allow to sit in a warm spot for an hour to double in size.

Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the baking soda to the boiling water.  Divide the raised dough into quarters, and each quarter into 12 pieces. Roll out each piece into a long, finger shaped tube. Pinch two sets of knuckles into one side of the "fingers" and drop them into the boiling water in batches. Allow them to boil for a minute or so, and then place on a well oiled baking pan, knuckle side up. Brush the fingers with the egg wash, sprinkle with salt, and place a red fingernail on the tip of each finger. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees. Serve with spicy mustard!

Do you have an creepy Halloween snack recipes?

(c)istockphoto.com/meyes

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:06 AM

I did a huge assortment of creepy stuff for my son's 4th birthday! It was so neat! 

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I don't. I'm not very creative when it comes to Halloween.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I have a bunch of Halloween recipes pinned on Pinterest.  I can't wait to try them!

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don't

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I like this idea. Too bad there isn't a picture.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

No, I don't

But my kid's have been asking me to make more halloween treats so I guess I will be LOL

jen113000
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I've never made any Halloween treats. Not very creative here lol
jen113000
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Yea! Wish there was a picture too!

Quoting dusky_rose:

I like this idea. Too bad there isn't a picture.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Interesting

matt_sara_mom
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I really don't make many things but one of my favorite I plan on trying is green pudding in clear platic cups, decorated with faces.

Fun And Easy Halloween Treats

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement