Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

thanksgiving meal on a budget

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 30 Replies

Im looking for some budget friendly ideas for thanksgiving. DH is our sole income and apart of the workers that are not getting paid due to the shutdown. We usually go all out for thanksgiving, christmas, and easter. We will have ourselves (4 ppl) plus his parents. Here are some things we plan to do and or usually do if you have any help.

1. we do a turkey breast well 2 (frozen ones) because nobody here eats dark meat so i figured why waste the money. 

2. mashed potatoes and homemade gravy.

3. canned cranberry sauce, dh wont eat it any other way.

4. i ususally have candied carrots, sweet potatoe pie, deviled eggs, salad, steamed veggies.

theres more but im forgetting some stuff. we cant do tree nuts due to allergies, and chocolate has to be limited along with citrus. 

in love2007 toddler boy 2008   baby girl2012

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Ask his parents to bring a dish?
There are also lots of free food baskets this time of year. I usually end up with a free pie, canned veggies, and a host of other useful stuff.
Shop sales! Most of this stuff can be bought canned or frozen and their are some great deals!
Do you know anyone with chickens? That may be a cheaper way to get eggs.
Most of all cut back on the dishes. Steamed veggies or salad. Candied carrots or sweet potatoes
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Do you have friends who can? My mom makes homemade cranberry conserve every year, maybe you know someone who makes the cranberry stuff for thanksgiving. I refuse to mix cranberry and turkey, so I put it on toast, and I don't eat store bought... Mom's is so much better.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I think you've got a pretty good meal that lends itself well to frugality. 

I do think 2 turkey breasts for 6 people may be a bit much.  Maybe cut back to 1. You've got plenty of side dishes (stuffing?  dinner rolls?) to help fill plates.

Look for store brands for the cranberry sauce and steamed veggies.  Watch for store sales the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving....many of the things needed for Tday dinner go on sale.

lilmama8408
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM
We dont know anybody around here. And they dint have farmers markets. His parents are coming from 6 hours away and mil cant cook. Whats a food basket?

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

There are also lots of free food baskets this time of year. I usually end up with a free pie, canned veggies, and a host of other useful stuff.

Shop sales! Most of this stuff can be bought canned or frozen and their are some great deals!

Most of all cut back on the dishes. Steamed veggies or salad. Candied carrots or sweet potatoes
lilmama8408
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM
The only cranberry he will eat is canned store bought. We dont have family or friends near by.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

Do you have friends who can? My mom makes homemade cranberry conserve every year, maybe you know someone who makes the cranberry stuff for thanksgiving. I refuse to mix cranberry and turkey, so I put it on toast, and I don't eat store bought... Mom's is so much better.
lilmama8408
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I watch adds and add digi coupons to my store card. I buy offbrand for the most part. Ill make homemade stuffing. And homemade cheddar biscuits. Dhs parents eat alot ive made 1 in the past and its not enough. Plus makes good leftobers

Quoting michiganmom116:

I think you've got a pretty good meal that lends itself well to frugality. 

I do think 2 turkey breasts for 6 people may be a bit much.  Maybe cut back to 1. You've got plenty of side dishes (stuffing?  dinner rolls?) to help fill plates.

Look for store brands for the cranberry sauce and steamed veggies.  Watch for store sales the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving....many of the things needed for Tday dinner go on sale.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM
at 3.99 a lb here for turkey breast Id say buy a whole turkey and you could use the leftovers for casseroles etc. thanksgiving dinner really is one of the most budget friendly meals esp if you go easy on the apps.
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

local food pantries and churches and such collect items pertaining to holiday meals and offer them out to people in need. usually no income proof is required for these. last year i ended up with 2 because we didn't think dh was gonna get one from the military so i signed up somewhere and then military came through. lol. i saved it all and used throughout the year and shared with others.

Quoting lilmama8408:

We dont know anybody around here. And they dint have farmers markets. His parents are coming from 6 hours away and mil cant cook. Whats a food basket?

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Bummer. I am out of ideas. Good luck

Quoting lilmama8408:

The only cranberry he will eat is canned store bought. We dont have family or friends near by.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

lilmama8408
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM

i can get a turkey breast for usually $5 or so. None of us will eat the dark meat so i feel that buying a while turkey is a waste of food.

Quoting calsmom62:

at 3.99 a lb here for turkey breast Id say buy a whole turkey and you could use the leftovers for casseroles etc. thanksgiving dinner really is one of the most budget friendly meals esp if you go easy on the apps.

in love2007 toddler boy 2008   baby girl2012

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement