Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

(Happy) Accidents Will Happen

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

As a former work-at-home mom who's now an in-the-office mom two days a week, I am very reliant on my slow cooker. I love spending a few minutes in the morning to come home to a delicious meal at night. And on days where one or more of us have somewhere to be in the evening...or we just want to get a workout in before bed....simply throwing together a salad or cutting up some raw veggies and, boom, dinner's done? Best thing ever.

So what happens when the slow cooker goes kaput? A problem, is what, that turned into a pretty awesome solution.The other day, I was prepping a beef stew for the slow cooker (this beef stew, called beef daube provencal. You're welcome...because you WILL be thanking me for sharing when you make this delicious and healthy dish). I was just dumping the second batch of browned beef in the slow cooker, which I had filled with the vegetable mixture and turned on, when POP! A small flame erupted from the socket and blew out.

YIKES. The socket still worked, but I was not going to run the risk of setting the house on fire by plugging it back in and walking away for eight hours. Healthy cooking does not include massive property damage!  Instead, I dumped everything into a cast-iron Dutch oven, turned the oven to 225 degrees (about the temp my slow cooker reaches) and left, hoping for the best.

And was it EVER the best: tender meat, veggies with just a little bite and an amazing garlic flavor throughout the dish. The long, slow braise did this dish, which does fine in the slow cooker, a world of good. I admit, I might not have done it if I couldn't call my husband and ask him to come home at lunchtime to check it out, but now I'm thinking what else I could super-slow cook in the oven. The healthy possibilities are endless!

Have you ever had a happy accident that turned out awesome?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/Ju-Lee

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM
your electric bill took a hit with the regular oven. so glad ypu were home whencthe outlet sparked
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:30 AM
2 moms liked this

The only one I can think of is when I accidentally used cayenne pepper instead of paprika when making salsa...hey, they're identical in color and I was in a hurry!  

It gave the salsa the perfect heat!

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I can't think of anything off hand
batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I made an apple pie that turned into a caramel apple crisp. My family still asks for it ... However I have no idea hoe to recreate it
EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't think off the top of my head but I know I've made a few happy mistakes.
ceciliam
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I can't think of any, although, I'm sure I have had some.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Not me (that I can think of right now) but my sister was making cranberry, white chocolate cookies.  She thought the "dough" looked funny, but formed the cookies anyway.  When they came out of the overn, it was a flat blobby looking thing.  She had forgotten the flour.  Well, she cracked it all up and it was some of the best granola we have ever had.  Now we ask her to make just that.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

One time my crockpot died and I took the ceramic container out of the crockpot and put the whole thing in the oven to cook it. Probably not a good idea to put the lid in there, but it cooked up good anyhow. Next time if that happens I will use foil instead.

sukainah
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Wow, glad you were home when that happened.

Sounds like a good dish.

My "happy" accidents never turn out good LOL

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I can not think of any happy cooking accidents...said as I clean dog poop up from the floor. She had surgery earlier in the week, so I'll cut her some slack.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement