Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

You HAVE to try these addictive oatmeal bars.

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm not kidding. THEY ARE AMAZING. Super easy to make and so delicious - a huge hit in this house. Also a nice treat to bake and bring to a new breastfeeding mom since the oats are a nice milk-supply booster!

• 12 tbsp (1½ sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup flour 
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt 
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¾ cup raisins
  • ¾ cup chopped dried apricots (or use any combo of mix-ins you want, like chocolate chips, nuts, other dried fruit)
  1. Grease an 8x8” or  9×9″ baking pan with butter. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and mix well.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon together with a wooden spoon, flattening any lumps.
  4. Pour in the melted butter mixture and mix until well incorporated. Stir in the dried fruit or other mix-ins.
  5. Spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking pan, using your hands to pat down. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan.
  6. Remove from the oven and let cool completely (or at least mostly) before cutting into bars and serving, or you will end up with a seriously burned mouth (not that I know, or anything).

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I like the idea of dried fruit in them, but unfortunately they're not something we can eat.

Cafe Amanda
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Oh, bummer! Gluten or dairy issue?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I like the idea of dried fruit in them, but unfortunately they're not something we can eat.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It's the grains/gluten.  Gives me bad stomach cramps.  : (

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Oh, bummer! Gluten or dairy issue?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Rhonda

Cafe Amanda
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Hmm, there must be another grain-free way to convey the deliciousness of sugar, butter and dried fruit...

kaybear123
by Kayla on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yummy TFS 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I would love to try these....thank you for sharing

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Oh, there are plenty of ways to bake without grains!  I use almond flour and/or coconut flour.  For these, I'd use almond flour and chopped almonds (oatmeal substitute) with some coconut for added texture.  I'd use honey instead of sugar (need 1/2 the quantity of sugar.)

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Hmm, there must be another grain-free way to convey the deliciousness of sugar, butter and dried fruit...

Rhonda

Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I will try this recipe VERY soon!  We love oatmeal bars here but they almost always come out too crumbly.  I don't normally use as much butter so I'm thinking that may be my mistake. 

Thanks for sharing!

Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Rhonda, I love that you always know the perfect substitutes!
Quoting michiganmom116:

Oh, there are plenty of ways to bake without grains!  I use almond flour and/or coconut flour.  For these, I'd use almond flour and chopped almonds (oatmeal substitute) with some coconut for added texture.  I'd use honey instead of sugar (need 1/2 the quantity of sugar.)

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Is it all grains? I have oatmeal that is gluten free.

I'm trying these with a few minor variations!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement