Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

help me out. cheap groceries *UPDATE*

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 55 Replies

Help me out ladies. We were supposed to get food stamps this month and didn't. I need cheap meal ideas. They need to be soy and lactose free and preferably no beans. I have a lot of"ingredient type stuff" on hand but need the actual ideas and main parts. I have easy access to Walmart, Kroger, aldis, and big lots if that helps.

Thank you so much ladies! I am overwhelmed by how much time y'all took to help me out! With your help I was able to get all my groceries for just under $20!!!!

I chose Chicken Chili, Hushpiggies, and The American Chop suey/spaghtetti ideas.

I shopped at Big Lots and Kroger. I had to make a few sacrifices in what I usually buy, but nothing significant.

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Do you have any idea what your budget will be?  Do you need all three meals?

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I think I can get by for bfast and lunch. I don't have a budget. Whatever I buy is coming out of savings. I'm hoping they are just delayed but who knows.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Do you have any idea what your budget will be?  Do you need all three meals?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM

well, there's pasta:  spaghetti, stewed tomatoes & noodles, chicken & veggie noodles casserole, ground beef & gravy with noodles (like stroganoff without the sour cream)

roast or boil a chicken (save the broth).   Remove the meat and divide into 2 c. portions.  Make chicken pot pie, chicken & gravy (with noodles or rice or mashed potatoes), and use the rest to make a big pot of chunky chicken & veggie stew.  The stew can be served over cooked rice, too.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The good ol' breakfast for dinner would be cheap:  eggs & ham or sausage, pancakes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you have English muffins?  I used to make egg (mc)muffins for dinner, with a salad.  I used my square electric skillet to cook up 9 eggs (scrambled)....pour the eggs into the greased skillet, then cover.  The heat cooks the top while it also cooks the bottom.  Divide into 9 squares.  Serve each square on a toasted muffin with a slice of (dairy-free) American cheese. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Winter squash is in season right now and is relatively inexpensive.  Acorn squash are really good with a sausage & apple stuffing.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Soups and stews will stretch food out.  Serve with homemade muffins or biscuits.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If your family likes chili, make a big pot and divide into portions.  Chili is good mixed with boiled macaroni or served over baked potatoes. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

grilled (dairy-free) cheese sandwiches and tomato soup

peanut butter sandwiches (grill them like French toast for extra yum) and chicken noodle soup

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
can of tomatoes or paste or sauce. macaroni. ground beef or other ground meat. onion or onion powder. . salt pepper. brown beef /onion. . season cook pasta. toss with sauce and beef heat through. anerican chop suey.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN