Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A Healthy, Happy Halloween

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Halloween is still more than a week away, but the events are starting this weekend for us and might already be in full swing for some of you. We love Halloween in my house, so we do as many Halloween-related things as we can. It's a lot of fun....but also a lot of sugar.

My kids will tell you all about how mean I am with my sugar restrictions (one piece of candy a day, maybe one after both lunch and dinner if I am feeling generous, poor deprived babies). Halloween is the one day I let them go to town. They go to bed early, so there isn't much time between trick or treating and going to bed, so I can limit the damage. Of course, the last few years my friend who is an amazing baker has hosted a party and goes all out with cupcakes and cookies and treats, which means I am overdosing on sugar too.

The biggest thing we do is try to make sure they have a healthy, protein-rich dinner to balance out the sugar spike. If they have full tummies, they're less likely to raid their bags out of sheer hunger.

We also let them choose a limited number of treats to try. I know Halloween candy is almost never tampered with and since we only trick-or-treat on our street, we know just about everyone who is giving out candy. But we still insist on checking it before they can eat it, just to keep them from eating a whole pound of chocolate on the way up and down the street. And I am in no way checking it so I can scope out the good stuff to appropriate after they go to bed, of course.

I also try to send healthier treats to school for Halloween parties; the teachers appreciate it and at least some kids do too. But mostly, I tend to give in to the craziness and figure one day of sugar overload isn't going to do my healthy kids much harm.

How do you handle the Halloween over-indulgences?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/monkeybusinessimages

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM

We don't really do much for Halloween.  We plan to volunteer at the fire dept's Halloween party this year, though.

Since we don't do much, we don't have problems with over-indulgences.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:53 AM
They start the day with a healthy breakfast and a bigger one than normal because once they get to school it seems every class has an abundance of candy.
I make a healthy dinner. They luckily like to save more of the candy than eat it quickly.
Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I have the exact same rue as you for the kids.   They can eat "as much as they want" (which is conveniently limited by bath and  bedtime) and th one piece a day.  After a week or so, I usually donate the candy to a local group.  

I can't say I have quite as much willpower for myself.  Once the kids go to bed, mommy picks her favourites from the night's haul?

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I dont have any major candy rules. 

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

There's a Halloween festival at the park that kicks off Trick or Treating.  You can buy lots of food there - wraps, hotdogs, hamburgers, smoked chops or turkey, etc. Fun activities, costume parade, & contests galore. The festival last about 2 hours with an hour or two left for trick or treating.

Our kids pick a handful of their favorites from their loot bags and dump the rest into a candy basket. We end up giving most of it away at some other activity. If the Brownies bring in enough suckers, we're going to make a lollipop tree to raffle.

Also, a car dealership is offering some great deals if you bring in a bucket of halloween candy.

jen113000
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM
They don't eat much of anything candy included lol. They will eat a piece or two if they remember to ask!
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

My kids didn't overeat the sweets. We told them pick out a couple and have them for dessert.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

This is cool about the dealership!

Quoting DissieDothe:

There's a Halloween festival at the park that kicks off Trick or Treating.  You can buy lots of food there - wraps, hotdogs, hamburgers, smoked chops or turkey, etc. Fun activities, costume parade, & contests galore. The festival last about 2 hours with an hour or two left for trick or treating.

Our kids pick a handful of their favorites from their loot bags and dump the rest into a candy basket. We end up giving most of it away at some other activity. If the Brownies bring in enough suckers, we're going to make a lollipop tree to raffle.

Also, a car dealership is offering some great deals if you bring in a bucket of halloween candy.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Its a battle with my DD .. that's all she asks for lol.. my son is 16 mths so he could care less.. after about a wk or so I get whatever's left out of the house!
johnny4ever
Summer is flying by
Yesterday at 8:02 AM
by Tracy on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

We keep it for snacks later on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement