Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Keep fast food away?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 30 Replies

My son is not even one yet but I want to always cook fresh organic meals for him like I do now. I don't want to ever feed him McDonalds or frozen pizzas but is it wrong to take fast food and just junk food from kids?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it's wrong, but I don't think it's totally realistic unless you plan on isolating him completely. 

In my experience of eating a healthy, clean diet for a couple of years, his taste buds will prefer the clean taste of what he's used to.  I can't stand to eat the foods that I used to; soda tastes just like what it is -- chemicals and sugar.  Burgers have no flavor but "yuck" to me.  I much prefer the clean taste of real foods.

Do I think it's wrong?  No more wrong than protecting him from drinking poisons or playing in toxic waste.   You're protecting him from potentially harmful foods.

TattooMom20
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM
well as long as he is under my roof I don't want him to eat junk like cotton candy, French fries and such
Vinterland
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I don't think it's wrong, there are healthier alternatives. I don't really want my son to eat that crap either. You can always make your own. There can also be healthier alternatives to those types of restaurants depending on where you live, we have some local places here. :)

MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:04 AM
2 moms liked this
You can find a happy medium. Those restaurants are trying to stay competitive in the wake of the healthy movement. As children get older it's hard to keep everything from them. Especially if they have a Nana that likes to take them to get special treats ;)
mamalynnsmith
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM

At such a young age i would keep him away from the fast food and as he gets older 5-6 Maybe have as a special treat. My oldest son will only est fast food if we are traveling and he is starving.even my younger son is not a big fan. I think it is because i try to always cook from scratch

lilmama8408
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM

he may rebel later down the line like teenage years with friends or adult life. And he could possible become a binge eater of bad foods because it was such a taboo thing growing up. I agree that fast food isnt great but for the simple fact of you isolating them they will be all the better.

you can make "junk" food at home... baked fries, turkey burgers, homemade chicken nuggest, ect. 

Quoting TattooMom20:

well as long as he is under my roof I don't want him to eat junk like cotton candy, French fries and such

in love2007 toddler boy 2008   baby girl2012

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM
I think its great you want to keep that away from him. Just know that it isn't the end of the world if he tastes it someday.
batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think its wrong. My kids eat healthy and because of that they really don't like fast food.
megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I tried to keep my son away from junk/fast food as long as possible, but the relatives spoil him. He knows it's something he only gets at the relatives. I feel it's not something worth arguing over.. so I let them give it to him. It's not often that he gets it... and sometimes with our schedule a quick run to the drive thru is necessary plus he thinks it's a special treat!

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

It's nice to jump-start a young kid on good natural foods.  All too soon - he'll have friends who eat healthy and a little fast food & junk. Thankfully, he'll always know the difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement