Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy Dinners To Treat Your Tricksters

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this

For most families, dinnertime is a rush shoehorned in between homework, work, walking the dog, evening activities, etc. On Halloween, throw in kids who are chomping at the bit to get out and start trick or treating and getting everybody to settle down for a nutritious meal can be tough.

The key is to get something quick, filling, and hopefully warm (it's going to be mighty cold where I live on Halloween night) into their bellies. Choosing foods that have a lower glycemic index and are higher in protein will help offset the enormous sugar rush and give them the stamina to keep going for just one more candy-filled block.

Think whole grains, lots of veggies, and easy and quick to make. My kids love these chicken sausage and broccoli pockets, which you can make ahead and freeze and then just pop in the oven. I make mine with whole wheat pizza dough to add a little whole grain into the mix. Serve them with cut-up veggies and some low-fat dip, and they'll get a nice dose of vegetables, grains and protein to send them on their way.

Tacos are always a good bet; just skip sour cream and cheese and serve with guacamole, pico de gallo and pickled onions. Fun, veggie-packed, and delicious....even my picky guy likes tacos!

A frittata is a fast and easy choice as well. Give any leftover or soon-to-go-south veggies you have a quick saute until they soften, scatter over some meat or cheese or both, and pour over 4-5 eggs beaten with a little bit of milk. As the edges set, lift them with a spatula and let the raw eggs flow under so they can cook. When the top is still a little runny, toss it under the broiler until it puffs and gets a little browned.

Once dinner is eaten, trick-or-treating time is on! None of these dishes are horrible to clean up after, either, so you won't be staring down a stack of dirty bowls and dishes once you get your sugar-crazed kiddos off to bed.

What's your go-to Halloween meal?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/morganl

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
This is our first year trick or treating so I don't have a set meal. We will just say a normal meals like we always do.
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

We don't trick or treat anymore but we usually have soup and sandwiches at a church party.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Our go to meal on that busy day is always pizzas. Take out pizzas.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

We usually have pizza that looks like a jack o' lantern.

ceciliam
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I haven't thought about it, yet. We do chicken tacos all of the time and I like the broccoli and chicken sausage idea.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Because the day is busy I ususally do chicken breast in the crock pot and make pulled chicken on chibatta bread.   Veggies and hummus to go with it

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

pizza

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We don't really have a set meal either but I definitely agree it should be something high in protein to counteract all that sugar !

sukainah
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Those sound good.

I don't really have any quick ideas for Halloween.  We may not go trick or treating this year, but may pass out candy.  Not sure yet.

elasmimi
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

something quick, like soup and sandwiches, or crockpot meals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement