Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Help Creating/Preserving a Food Stockpile

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 18 Replies

I've been trying to stockpile recently.. Currently we have a little extra in our budget so I've been trying to stock up on things, like canned goods, and things that will last a while. Come January our food budget is going to drastically change so I'm trying to find things that I can purchase now, while we can, that will last us as long as possible.

Do you guys have any tips?
What are some foods with long expiration dates?
What is the best way to preserve fresh foods like fruits, veggies, meats?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Meats are easy if you have a deep freezer. Just get ziploc bags and freeze. Canned goods you use a lot are easy too. You can also cook up applesauce green beans and corn and freeze all that. And whole stewed tomatoes. I don't know how to can yet. That is next years project.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Grain foods should be preserved in the freezer or an airtight container to prevent bugs (if they're not already infested).  You can keep beans and sugar in airtight containers (throw an apple slice or piece of bread in sugar to keep lumps from forming). 

Foods with long expiration dates:  canned veggies & fruits, tomato products, canned tuna & salmon & chicken & ham, powdered or evaporated milk, powdered eggs, cereal, pasta.  Watch the dates on baking mixes, cakes mixes, etc.

Fruits, veggies, and meats can be frozen or dehydrated, or else can them.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I knew Rhonda would have a good answer for you :)

All that came to my mind was canned foods and pasta 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Quoting Lauren486:

LOL  That's because I used to keep pantry stockpiles of those things.  Now I keep coconut and almond flour (bugs won't get in there because they're not grains), coconut oil, honey...oooo, yeah!  Honey has a VERY long shelf life!....and olive oil along with canned tuna/salmon, canned coconut milk, shredded coconut and nuts in the pantry along with my homecanned goods.  Everything else is frozen (I have 3 freezers, have condensed it down to 2 in the past month, full of beef, chicken, homemade sausage, veggies, freezer jam, apple and grape juice.)

Rhonda

megandwade
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I think I'm definitely going to have to invest in a deep freezer!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lauren486:

LOL  That's because I used to keep pantry stockpiles of those things.  Now I keep coconut and almond flour (bugs won't get in there because they're not grains), coconut oil, honey...oooo, yeah!  Honey has a VERY long shelf life!....and olive oil along with canned tuna/salmon, canned coconut milk, shredded coconut and nuts in the pantry along with my homecanned goods.  Everything else is frozen (I have 3 freezers, have condensed it down to 2 in the past month, full of beef, chicken, homemade sausage, veggies, freezer jam, apple and grape juice.)

kaybear123
by Kayla on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I can never seem to stockpile lol

terri76
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Me either lol

Quoting kaybear123:

I can never seem to stockpile lol

Lauren486
by Lauren on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

A deep freezer is on my short list for our next house! 

Quoting megandwade:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lauren486:

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I usually do a detailed meal plan with a list of ingredients for each. I check off food as I buy it. This time of year, I'm trying to cover Jan/Feb/Mar. I find it easy to freeze some soups, stews, casseroles and stock things like the sides, bread making, etc. I accuse dh of having us on a penny pincher punch card some times.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I have two uprights and a chest freezer and they're usually full in the spring after I get my whole beef and whole hog.  Right now I have the two uprights PACKED...as in can't-get-another-thing-in-there....and my fridge's freezer is full, too.  If I get any more food, I'll have to get the chest freezer going again.

Quoting Lauren486:

A deep freezer is on my short list for our next house! 

Quoting megandwade:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Lauren486:

Rhonda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement