Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Dealing With the Candy Aftermath

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

It's finally over...the excitement, the costumes, the parties...and now you have a gigantic pile of candy in your house. Let's face it, the novelty wears off after a couple of days, and then you're faced with the reality of a big bowl of temptation for you and your kids.

There's nothing to do but get rid of it! But how? I am a frugal sort and don't like to throw things away. But a little research uncovered lots of fabulous ways to put that candy to good use.

Experiment on it! No kidding, you can do fun science experiments with candy.  See a key ingredient in chocolate ooze to the surface in the chocolate bloom test, check out what dyes might be in your candy with a color separation test, or float the letters off an M&M. This might also reinforce the point of candy being a "sometimes food."

Give it away! Call domestic violence or homeless shelters to see if they can use your bounty. Or, many groups accept donations of hard candies (that won't melt) to send in care packages to soldiers overseas. 

Re-purpose it! Open up all those packs of M&Ms and mix them with nuts and dried fruit to make your own trail mix. You could also chop up solid chocolate bars or mini peanut butter cups and freeze them in freezer bags for holiday baking. Or make these yummy-sounding rice krispie energy bites and sprinkle chopped-up candy bars over the top instead of drizzling chocolate...this renders them less healthy but even more yummy.

How do you get rid of the leftover Halloween candy?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/eans

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Something I add to Christmas cookies. Luckily this year it was rainy so the kids didn't have a lot of candy
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

GREAT ideas!

We didn't trick-or-treat so we have no problems with this.

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
My son is little so we don't go many places. He is also allergic to most candies. So I switch witch it for organic fruit leather and hide the candy for myself for a bad day. We haven't gone yet though because our got moved due to weather.
Lauren486
by Lauren on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Great ideas!

Before we went trick or treating , I talked to my girls about what we would do with the candy.  I let them eat "all they wanted" last night which turned out to be about 4 pieces each.  They've had a couple of pieces today but surprisingly are not gung-ho about it.  We traveled all last week and then returned  to the excitement of Halloween, so I think we're simply to a point of exhaustion.  

We recently made a care package for Cranio Carebears that I haven't shipped yet, so the girls plan to choose candy that won't melt easily to put in there today.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I love the idea the science experiments too.  I will have to try a couple! 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Good ideas!
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Some candy can be incorporated in with the trail mix.  Suckers can be used for stained glass windows in Gingerbread houses. You can melt peanut butter kisses and make syrup.

You can give it to a food bank.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM
We didn't go trick or treating this year so this isn't an issue but in previous years my hubby handled the overflow problem and ate it
cubbies23
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

The Halloween Fairy use to visit our house every year. She would come 2 days after Halloween. My kids left their candy on the porch at night and in the morning there would be a small gift instead of candy.  

peaches_04
by New Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
you could also just say its the tooth fairy trying to save their teeth

Quoting cubbies23:

The Halloween Fairy use to visit our house every year. She would come 2 days after Halloween. My kids left their candy on the porch at night and in the morning there would be a small gift instead of candy.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN