Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

My Mother's Apple Plum Galette

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

This is my mother's recipe, although she just calls it "pie". I feel like it looks so rustic and pretty that it deserves to be called a galette, darn it! This recipe just uses one layer of pie crust, folded over until it almost meets in the middle. The pie crust holds the filling so there is no need to use a pie plate, just put it on a baking sheet. Also, I fear making my own pie crust, but if you are a pie crust expert, please feel free.

Ingredients:

One Disk Frozen Pie Crust

2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced

3 ripe plums, pitted and sliced

2 tablespoons sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay your thawed (or homemade) pie crust on a baking sheet. Toss your sliced apples and plums with the sugar and cinnamon and place the fruit into the center of the pie crust, leaving an edge of dough about 2 inches wide exposed. Drizzle the fruit with honey and then fold the extra dough over the top of the fruit, leaving a circle of fruit exposed in the middle. Sprinkle the top of the pie with a tablespoon of sugar and bake for 25 minutes or so, until the crust is golden and the fruit is bubbling.

Do you have any recipes from your mom?

(c)istockphoto.com/sbossert

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaniNY
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Wow! That sounds good, and so easy! I'm going to try it!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM

mmmm...sounds good!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:36 AM

That sounds delicious.

I do, and I treasure them even more now since she passed away last month.  I am making her beef stew tonight.  It is our Halloween tradition.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a couple of my mom's recipes that she's used since she first got married almost 50 years ago:

Mom's Apple Pie - my mom gave me this recipe for her signature apple pie. I'm not supposed to share, but it's too good to keep to myself!

• 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 5 to 6 cups peeled, cored and sliced baking apples

Combine all ingredients and stir carefully. Put in an unbaked pie shell and dot with 2 Tbsp. butter cut into small pieces. Top with top crust, seal edges and cut slits in the top crust. Brush with milk and sprinkle with a bit of white sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Cover edges of the crust with foil if they begin to get too dark.

Dad's Favorite Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

• 1/2 c. cocoa
  • 2 tsp. soda
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 c. margarine or butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. buttermilk
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together cocoa, soda, and water and let stand. Cream together sugar and shortening and add eggs and beat well. Mix flour and salt and add the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Add the vanilla and the chocolate mixture and beat well with mixer. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch cake pan or two 8 or 9 inch layer pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Let layers cool about 10 minutes before removing from pans.

Creamy Chocolate Frosting

• 1/3 c. margarine or butter
  • 1/2 c. cocoa
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  • Warm coffee or milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Melt margarine or butter and add cocoa and powdered sugar. Then add enough warm coffee or milk to make it spreading consistency. Add the vanilla and mix well.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
I was thinking the same thing

Quoting RaniNY:

Wow! That sounds good, and so easy! I'm going to try it!
batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Those recipes are even more precious.
What are the girls dressing up as?
It's down pouring rain here

Quoting TerriC:

That sounds delicious.

I do, and I treasure them even more now since she passed away last month.  I am making her beef stew tonight.  It is our Halloween tradition.

batjmom
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I have several of moms recipes
Miranda1127
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:51 AM

OHHHH...YUM!

Miranda1127
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM

My mom doesn't cook, so I suppose I have inherted a bit of kitchen'ess from her ;)

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Looks yummo!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN