- 4 thin slices roast beef (about 3 ounces)
- 4 (6-inch) soft flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar, Monterey jack or "Mexican blend" cheese
- 1/4 cup Quickie Guacamole, recipe follows, or store-bought fresh guacamole
- 1/4 cup Speedy Salsa, recipe follows, or store-bought fresh salsa
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt, optional
- Mini bottle hot sauce
- Multi-compartment lunch box
Fold 1 slice roast beef inside each of 2 soft tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. Pack in the biggest compartment of the lunch box. Pack other compartments with guacamole, salsa, sour cream and other favorite toppings. Seal and send off to school.
- 2 ripe tomatoes (about 1 pound), halved
- 1/4 small red onion or white, halved
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves or fresh mint leaves, optional
Grate tomatoes on the largest holes of a box grater into a bowl all the way down to the skins. Discard the skins. Grate the onion into the tomato. Stir in olive oil. Season with salt, to taste. Serve with cilantro leaves on the side, or stirred in, if desired.
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, halved and seeded
- 1 lime, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes, mango, or quartered seedless grapes, optional
Scoop the flesh from the shell with a spoon into a medium bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the avocado and stir to coat evenly. Add the salt. Use a fork to stir and mash into a chunky guacamole. Stir in tomatoes or fruit, if desired.