The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

What do you bring to a pot luck dinner?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

what dish did you get the most positive reaction to?

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Baked Ziti, lasagna, meatballs.. I usually try to bring a pasta, easy and not to expensive and it feeds alot
one_on_the_way
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Cold stuffed pasta shells...I stuffed them with crab salad.  People always ask me to bring those.

Honeygator
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Mini meat pies or celery stuffed with cream cheese mixed with pineapple bits, green onions, nuts and seasoning or Chinese pearl balls. Chinese Pearl Balls are ground pork balls mixed with fresh ginger, water chestnuts onions, I like fish sauce or you can use soy. You soak long grain white rice in water for 2 hours, then roll the balls in the rice and steam them for about 45 minutes. They look like porcupines, so cute.

For a very inexpensive and really pretty dish, 2 pounds shredded carrots with any dressing you like and chopped green and/or red peppers and/or green onions, raw broccoli or just whatever you want to make it colorful. I was in my early 20s and really poor when I went to work volunteering for the senior weekly lunches at a community center when I discovered no one would think I was cheap with that carrot dish. At that time I just used the carrots and a cheap Italian dressing and it always got gobbled up.

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I usually bring desserts. Homeade cheesecake and pumpkin roll are requested a lot.
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

This time of year (Thanksgiving), I take a fruit tray with a variety of fresh fall pears and fruit dip. Toward Christmas, I make a kiwi & strawberry fruit tray with dip.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM

deviled eggs and potato salad

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Cheesy potatoes always go over well

twinners.mama
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Cheesy potatoes, scalloped corn, some sort of pasta, taco dip, crackers and cheese.
megandwade
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

This sounds good! I've never had anything like this but I'd be very interested in trying them!

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Cold stuffed pasta shells...I stuffed them with crab salad.  People always ask me to bring those.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I don't attend pot lucks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)