This is the best hollandaise sauce recipe I've ever came across. I've used it for years. It is always perfect. I have kept it up to 3 weeks in the fridge. It's fast and the main thing is being organized with ingredients measured out and ready, plus timing is very important.
Never Fail Hollandaise Sauce
Joy Of Cooking-1967 Printing
Melt slowly and keep warm:
1/2 cup of butter
1 1/2 tbs of lemon juice, dry sherry or tarragon vinegar
small saucepan of boiling water and a 1 tbs measuring spoon
Place in top of double boiler:
3 eggs yolks, over, not in hot water
Beat yolks with wire whisk until they begin to thicken.
Add 1 tsp boiling water.
Beat again until they thicken and repeat this process with 3 more tbs boiling water.
Then beat in warm lemon juice.
Remove the double boiler from heat. Beat the sauce well using the wire whisk.
Then beat constantly while adding melted butter slowly.
Last add ¼ tsp salt and a few grains of cayenne pepper.
This is the note I keep by my work area when making this:
On second thought I need to add a few more tips for someone who's making this the first time.
1. When you 1st add the eggs into the top of the double boiler, they get a little pale as you beat them, then they thicken. They also yellow up again and it's the same with the 4 additions of boiling water.
2. Beat fast, or they'll cook into curds, but the 1 second it takes to dip the measuring spoon to add boiling water, does not affect it, but otherwise do not stop fastly beating.
3. The trick when adding the butter, whether you stream it in or add it a spoonful at a time, is to make sure you are incorporating the butter. At first you will see the butter resistant to incoporation, but just don't add more butter until you have what you added incorporated.
4. I gave up a long time ago just keeping the water hot in the bottom double boiler, not simmering. I let it simmer at a low rate. That isn't important, just don't have it at a rolling boil, and do not let the top of the double boiler touch the water. That's the important thing.
5. This takes me 5 minutes to prep and 5 minutes to make.