Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Never Fail Hollandaise Sauce

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is the best hollandaise sauce recipe I've ever came across. I've used it for years. It is always perfect. I have kept it up to 3 weeks in the fridge. It's fast and the main thing is being organized with ingredients measured out and ready, plus timing is very important.

Never Fail Hollandaise Sauce

Joy Of Cooking-1967 Printing

Melt slowly and keep warm:                         

1/2 cup of butter

Barely heat:     

1 1/2 tbs of lemon juice, dry sherry or tarragon vinegar

Have ready:                                                    

small saucepan of boiling water and a 1 tbs measuring spoon

Place in top of double boiler:                        

3 eggs yolks, over, not in hot water

Beat yolks with wire whisk until they begin to thicken.

Add 1 tsp boiling water.

Beat again until they thicken and repeat this process with 3 more tbs boiling water.

Then beat in warm lemon juice.

Remove the double boiler from heat. Beat the sauce well using the wire whisk.

Then beat constantly while adding melted butter slowly.

Last add ΒΌ tsp salt and a few grains of cayenne pepper.

This is the note I keep by my work area when making this:

Eggs

1 T

Beat

1 T

Beat

1 T

Beat

1 t

Lemon juice

Beat

Butter Beat

Salt/Cayenne

Finish

On second thought I need to add a few more tips for someone who's making this the first time.

1. When you 1st add the eggs into the top of the double boiler, they get a little pale as you beat them, then they thicken. They also yellow up again and it's the same with the 4 additions of boiling water.

2. Beat fast, or they'll cook into curds, but the 1 second it takes to dip the measuring spoon to add boiling water, does not affect it, but otherwise do not stop fastly beating.

3. The trick when adding the butter, whether you stream it in or add it a spoonful at a time, is to make sure you are incorporating the butter. At first you will see the butter resistant to incoporation, but just don't add more butter until you have what you added incorporated.

4. I gave up a long time ago just keeping the water hot in the bottom double boiler, not simmering. I let it simmer at a low rate. That isn't important, just don't have it at a rolling boil, and do not let the top of the double boiler touch the water. That's the important thing.

5. This takes me 5 minutes to prep and 5 minutes to make.

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM

mmmm... makes me want to make eggs benedict!!!! when i was a kid i always thought hollandaise was cheese sauce, lol.  you can imagine my suprise when i began to cook on my own and found it's an egg sauce.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Great recipe and tips! DH loves hollandaise sauce.

Honeygator
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Irma Rombauer knew what she was doing!

terri76
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Sounds delicious!

twinners.mama
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I should try this! But whenever we get hungry for this we just go out for breakfast :)
Honeygator
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I have this way of making brussel sprouts crispy on their outsides and tender on their insides. Oh men want to marry for my brussel sprouts and hollandaise sauce. I use this sauce on perfect steamed broccoli (the perfection has to do with the method I use of steaming it). On smoked and grilled asparagus and salmon it's TDF!!!

I've only used this recipe once for eggs benedict, as I'm not a fan of Canadian bacon.I have used this recipe in egg concoctions but not in the traditional eggs benedict style.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement