Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

garden green eggs

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 3 Replies

Ingredients

Directions

Preheat the broiler. Arrange the tomatoes cut-side up on one half of a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Broil the tomatoes until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Remove from the broiler. Arrange the English muffins on the other half of the baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the Canadian bacon and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach until wilted; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a bowl; keep warm. Wipe out the skillet.

Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into the pan, season with salt and pepper, and fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

Top the tomatoes with the cheese. Return the tomatoes and English muffins to the broiler; broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide the English muffins among plates, then top each with some of the spinach mixture and a fried egg. Serve with the broiled tomatoes

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Honeygator
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

This sounds really tasty. I'm not a fan of Canadian bacon, but I would have no problem substituting prosciutto, a good quality bacon like Wright's or even pepperoni or sweet italian sausage with fennel. This recipe definately has an Italian-Mediterranean influence.

terri76
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

My mom would love these!! I am not a fan of tomatoes 

Honeygator
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Shoot, I came back to copy and paste this recipe. Then I noticed the amount of baby spinach stated. I agree that spinach greatly reduces in bulk when cooked from fresh. I'm thinking the amount of fresh spinach called for may be better described as 8 cups packed baby spinach. If packed, then this recipe wouldn't need 8 cups of just baby spinach leaves; We need to know how much spinach the recipe needs for the finished product in weight.

In baking you should always measure in weights. I've thought this for years about greens. I have found that with greens that measuring them in weights before they are cooked in accordance with what they weigh after cooked accomplishes a much better quality and written recipe.

But this is the first time I've ever thought my recommendation worth sharing. And as far as cooking any green, whether it be turnip, mustard, poke salad/lamb's quarters, kale, spinach, all the arugulas, watercress and even all of the varieties of lettuce, should be in a recipe form that tells you how much of that product you should purchase. When it comes to greens, recipes fall short in that respect. From now on, I'm going to try to measure and weigh my greens in my recipes which use greens before AND after they are cooked then note the amounts within the recipe. 

I believe one of the reasons for this over-sight in green's recipes is that in the U.S. we grew greens in our cottage garden on the plains and in the south and maybe up north. I'm ignorant as to northeastern U.S. greens and their history in those gardens and kitchens. It's not something you really bought until a few decades ago and those purchasers just knew how much greens they needed to feed their family by learning from their family's cottage gardens in their childhood.

Especially important to me is spinach. I use fresh spinach and cook it per recipe in many recipes because spinach is so tasty and healthy. I love spinach in salads and cooked/prepared dishes.  Occasionally I crave turnip or mustard greens and buttermilk cornbread. But I just know how much to buy for the amount I need  for that meal.

Thanks so much Tattoo. You've given me one more task to perfect....LOL

Popeye the Sailor Man was not playing around. Ya know, you knew he loved spinach...it was an honest trade off...for his brutish behavior...no pun intended.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN