Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Apple Cider Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

This is a great side dish for Thanksgiving-the tartness of the cherries and the mild onion flavor added from the scallions balances out the sweetness from the glazed sweet potatoes, plus it just looks pretty on the table. A bonus is that this is made on the stove top, so you can prepare it while the turkey roasts in the oven.

Ingredients:

3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 1/2 cups apple cider

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 stick of butter

pinch of salt

pinch of cinnamon

1/2 cup dried bing cherries

2 stalks green onion, minced

In boiling water, cook the sweet potatoes partially, so that they are still pretty firm. Drain. In a saucepan, combine the cider, sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cherries and cook down until the sauce becomes a glaze and the sweet potatoes are cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in the green onions.

What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?

(c)istockphoto.com/zxcynosure

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:11 AM

ooo, this sound good!

My favorite side dish is cheesy broccoli casserole, although it's not exclusive to Thanksgiving dinner.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Baked apples

timon95
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM

tfs

timon95
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM
for me, my favorite side is green bean casserole dh is my moms stuffing ds is mashed potatoes dd is rice pilaf
cafay
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

This sounds yummy! Might try these this year! Thank you.

MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM

my favorite side dish is stuffing!! I will be making 3 different kinds this year! I love to eat sweet potatoes year  round. I like them more savory though not sweet.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I like the stuffing.

coliemamiof2
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Sounds so good! I'm gonna try this! I got a whole bushel of sweet potatoes at my local farmers market, so I need more recipes like this lol :)
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

This sounds good. My fav side dish is mashed potatoes.

coliemamiof2
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Oh...question...did you cook/saute the green onions or did you just throw them in raw?

Quoting KarenandErnie:

This is a great side dish for Thanksgiving-the tartness of the cherries and the mild onion flavor added from the scallions balances out the sweetness from the glazed sweet potatoes, plus it just looks pretty on the table. A bonus is that this is made on the stove top, so you can prepare it while the turkey roasts in the oven.

Ingredients:

3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 1/2 cups apple cider

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 stick of butter

pinch of salt

pinch of cinnamon

1/2 cup dried bing cherries

2 stalks green onion, minced

In boiling water, cook the sweet potatoes partially, so that they are still pretty firm. Drain. In a saucepan, combine the cider, sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cherries and cook down until the sauce becomes a glaze and the sweet potatoes are cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in the green onions.

What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?

(c)istockphoto.com/zxcynosure

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement